• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

When did the BBC News site get adverts?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When did the BBC News site get adverts?

I only just noticed them. Have they been there for ages and I've just filtered them out of my vision, or have they only just gone on. I don't think they were there earlier today. I don't think.

Are you outside the UK? I believe someone on here said that ads appear for you foreign types.

Comment

Ah, yeah, I did wonder. I'm in Germany. But still, I've been here for ages and not noticed them before. It's a horrible nightmare. They're all over the site, including as trailers to news video clips. Make it go away!

Comment

News item from October 2007

BBC Worldwide says the advertising will be introduced on popular web pages but did not say when the first adverts will be carried.
        It seems to be a really old story but I swear I've not seen the adverts before. Maybe I have a different web connection today which knows it's in Germany. Or something.
        Last edited by dang65; 20 January 2009, 14:37. Reason: Add

Comment

They've been there for ages. You have to have a non UK IP address to see them. Unfortunately geo IP databases are not very accurate. E.g. many international companies have US IP addresses over here.
          Cats are evil.

Comment

Originally posted by swamp View Post
            They've been there for ages. You have to have a non UK IP address to see them. Unfortunately geo IP databases are not very accurate. E.g. many international companies have US IP addresses over here.
            Yeah, looks like it's as you say. I did switch to a wi-fi connection here earlier today but didn't put two and two together. I'm just surprised I haven't seen them before if they've been around that long. Sorry for the hysteria. It's a sad day for me. Until I switch back to the LAN, hopefully.

Comment

Why can't UK TV licence-payers get ad-free BBC, even if they happen to be in a German hotel room at the time?

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
                Why can't UK TV licence-payers get ad-free BBC, even if they happen to be in a German hotel room at the time?
                What's wrong with the BBC having ads on its site

Comment

I would actually prefer ads to the constant tedium of adverts for BBC programs that I have already seen 10 times that day alone. Not that I watch the BBC. But if I did...
                  Bored.

Comment

Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
                    What's wrong with the BBC having ads on its site
                    I don't like ads. I really really don't like ads. I like the BBC not having ads. ISTM that that is part of the implied deal with licence-payers, that we pay the licence fee to fund the BBC, and in return they don't give us ads.

Nothing wrong with the BBC having ads, for those who use it but don't pay BBC funding otherwise; but those who do pay the licence funding should get the no-ads deal.

You may not care if you have to see ads; I do.

Comment

Working...
                    X