• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Another reason to hire a contractor and not take on more staff

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another reason to hire a contractor and not take on more staff

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7839501.stm

Employees on long-term sick leave are entitled to take all holiday they have accrued when they return to work, the European Court of Justice has ruled.

And if workers were sacked or left a firm, they must receive holiday pay equivalent to the time they were unable to take while ill, the judges added.

The verdict clears up years of dispute over whether holiday rights accrued are lost after prolonged illness.

Critics say the ruling would be a blow for many employers.

And of course, when they take the holidays after being sick, they can phone in sick on holiday and repeat the process.

I once worked with a (permie) bloke who flew out on a business trip to the USA, and then got an American doctor to say he had an ear infection and could not fly back. Bloke got to stay in a top hotel in the USA on sick leave for a month!

I am gobsmacked that you've posted this and not mentioned whom the employees it refers to are.

I just hope they're lacking motivation or are too stressed to work!

it was HMRC staff wot dunnit.

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
      I am gobsmacked that you've posted this and not mentioned whom the employees it refers to are.

I just hope they're lacking motivation or are too stressed to work!

it was HMRC staff wot dunnit.
      I'd get accussed of right wing bias.

Comment

Where is shaunbhoy?

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
          Where is shaunbhoy?
          I think he only comes out after the Prawn's curfew is in force. 19.01 if I remember correctly.

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by bogeyman View Post
            I think he only comes out after the Prawn's curfew is in force. 19.01 if I remember correctly.
            Yes SB is my early evening sockpuppet of choice.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
              Yes SB is my early evening sockpuppet of choice.
              Don't post after 19.00 now, you'll turn into a pumpkin again.

And you know what a burden that was for your poor mother the last time around.

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

I once got sick and a doctor's note while on holiday. I insisted that the days of sick didn't deduct from my holiday allowance. In the end, HR took legal advice and found I was right. That's what happens when you take on an ex-contractor...
                Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Working...
                X