• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

First post for a newbie - whinge about agencies

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First post for a newbie - whinge about agencies

Hi,

New to this forum, but not to contractoruk or contracting. I went about looking for a forum for IT contractors and ended up here. Not a bad place to end up.

Been out since November 08, and stood little chance of getting anything before Christmas. Most agencies just ringing up to chat about the weather, and to tell me that their clients weren't hiring until the new year.

Now the new year is here. the same agencies are calling. This time not to chat about the weather, but to try and pitch me on a bogus contact with no job spec, and to try and take two references up front. Not falling for that one. Find your own leads.

Then, and most recently, they call with real contracts (I think), decide I am the perfect candidate, put me forward and promise to get back to me whatever the outcome. Then I wait, and wait, and wait a few days. Then I chase, and chase and chase.

I've had every excuse under the sun. In a meeting. On the phone. Away from his / her desk. On a client visit. Funny how they all only know said agent's whereabouts AFTER they have taken my name, put me on hold, and then come back to me.

Feeling a bit low as I have had "numerous" false starts where the CV has gone to the client and I haven't even had a sniff of an interview.

I've been coding for 12 years, have MCP qualifications and bags of good hard faught and won war stories of projects come good. And have usually been ok at stringing contracts together.

Why am I benched? Why am I so convinced its just me. Does weeks of being stuck at home mean I am now my own worst enemy?

I think I am just looking to swap stories with other contractors, maybe get some advice on how to stop these agency types from mucking me around so much, and get a lift as after all these weeks I am finally starting to slide into the abyss.

Pretty verbose first post huh? Please don't pan me first time out of the gate. I know there are people out there who are just as frustrated as me, I just don't want to suffer alone and in silence any more.
    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

bump
    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Welcome to CUK.

Doomed.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
        Welcome to CUK.

Doomed.

Aww come on - he's a newbie - at least be nice....
        This default font is sooooooooooooo boring and so are short usernames

Comment

Welcome to CUK

You may not be doomed.

Comment

that's better!
            Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
            Welcome to CUK

You may not be doomed.
            This default font is sooooooooooooo boring and so are short usernames

Comment

We should help this guy out with some helpful comments. I'll start.

When an agent asks you for two references just give the details of two other agents who asked for two references. For bonus points make a kiss-tree, i.e. try and not to make it circular. Alternatively someone you really dislike.

I've used a goodly portion of an A4 pad of squared paper doing this in the past. It was immense fun.

Another idea is to write bluffer CVs and post those for jobs you wouldn't normally apply for. Many contractors at the odd BOS contracts I've been on seem to get their foot in the door using this method. As long as you're a quick learner and can Google effectively it'll carry you for a month or so, 6+ if it's a Microsoft product.

Comment

Originally posted by MPwannadecentincome View Post
                Aww come on - he's a newbie - at least be nice....
                That'll be a first then!

Comment

Don't you read the news FFS. There's a recession. That means clients aint hiring. That's why your benched and likely to be there for some time. Don't bother chasing agents. If they have positive news they'll be over you like a bad rash.

Comment

Originally posted by Purple Dalek View Post
                    We should help this guy out with some helpful comments.
                    Since when did we start doing that?

Comment

Working...
                    X