• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Permie quips that have made you laugh (inside, but not to their face).

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Permie quips that have made you laugh (inside, but not to their face).

I've had two which spring to mind:-

"If you stick in hard Chris, there could be a permanent position here for you further down the line".

also...

"What's it like temping for so long then? How do you manage to get by?"

The cycle of life: born > learn > work > learn > dead.

Never really had this from any permie. Most of the time they want to know how to become a contractor. I try to put them off by warning them that they need a finacial cushion, mortgage, bills family responsibilities etc.

That usually puts them off as they like their cushty permie role, plus less competition for me

Comment

"What's it like temping for so long then?"
      Isn't that what we are anyway ?
      Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by Board Game Geek View Post
        Isn't that what we are anyway ?
        Yeah it was the latter part of the questions which threw me, almost like shock that I'd managed to put bread on the table by choosing 'temp jobs'.
        The cycle of life: born > learn > work > learn > dead.

Comment

Originally posted by chris79 View Post
          I've had two which spring to mind:-

"If you stick in hard Chris, there could be a permanent position here for you further down the line".

also...

"What's it like temping for so long then? How do you manage to get by?"

Cup your left hand behind your left ear, and say "You'll have to speak up, I can't hear you over the sound of all the money I'm making"

Saw a contractor do this, and he's still there. Cheeky chappy.
          Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by badger7579 View Post
            Never really had this from any permie. Most of the time they want to know how to become a contractor. I try to put them off by warning them that they need a finacial cushion, mortgage, bills family responsibilities etc.

That usually puts them off as they like their cushty permie role, plus less competition for me
            +1

had one perm dev recently trying to persuade me to take his perm position so he could make a sideways step into PM team - i politely declined

Comment

ClientCo made a load of redundancies today.

Team of 20 people in management 4 gone. Operations team 20 gone in the next few weeks.

I was in the meeting when it was announced. My contract finishes in 4 weeks anyway - if they can find a replacement for me as they basically want me but cheaper (permie).

One permie said to me - "its OK for you when you leave but I've got bills that need paying".

Erm...do contractors not have to pay for stuff then....boomed!

Comment

What I find is that when a permie is moaning to you about how hard times are, you have to kind of nod and pretend to agree as if you're in the same position, even though quite frankly you're minted, and you couldn't give a damn how much the price of pork has increased.

Comment

Allways makes me laugh when they are jealous but have never lived a life away from their home town nor would they ever, but expect the same benefit with no sacrifice
                  The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

When I get asked to go permie, I answer like so: If you want really good sex then you can go to a prostitute. You will leave feeling really satisfied and you can pay again for another go. If you can’t afford her don’t embarrass your self by asking her to marry you.
                    "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Working...
                    X