• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How long before it is all over?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How long before it is all over?

This doom story is a bit too close to home for comfort

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/...al/7838078.stm

I was sure that there was a poll done on this not too long ago, but I can't find it and since I've never started a poll before it will be amusing to see how I do / me noddy it up.

So, how long can people last before they have to go down the benefits office?
    1 month - I am a permie-tractor.
    5.00%
    3 - 6 months - I've only put enough aside for the usual gaps between gigs.
    25.00%
    6 - 12 months - I've put some aside for times such as now.
    22.50%
    12 months or longer - I've been expecting a downturn for sometime.
    35.00%
    Andyw - I'm still at school and get my pocket-money weekly.
    12.50%

£50k? it cant have been anything good!...

Comment

Originally posted by Liability View Post
      I’m sure you could live very well for 50 grand a year in Scotland.
      And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Only been in the contracting game for 6 months and just been spending it all so far lol

Could actually survive 6 months but only because of savings from before contracting.

Comment

I don't think that that is so bad outside of London and the South.

Comment

Well done for correctly spelling Andyw with a small 'w'...

I do like it when that happens.

Rule #76: No excuses. Play like a champion.

Comment

Originally posted by London75 View Post
              Only been in the contracting game for 6 months and just been spending it all so far lol

Could actually survive 6 months but only because of savings from before contracting.
              You had savings from before contracting ?

When I started contracting I had no savings and the large credit card debts that I ran up when I was a poorly paid permie. That was one of the reasons for me to start contracting was because it was the only way that I would ever be to get rid of them.

I have been very fortunate with my timing, but it could have gone horribly wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Gonzo View Post
                You had savings from before contracting ?

When I started contracting I had no savings and the large credit card debts that I ran up when I was a poorly paid permie. That was one of the reasons for me to start contracting was because it was the only way that I would ever be to get rid of them.

I have been very fortunate with my timing, but it could have gone horribly wrong.
                I had enough savings to last 3 months at permie salary equivalent when I started. Could now hold out for a year, much longer if I do a bit of translation and TEFL work, which is still moving along over here.

Remember that when the market improves we’ll be the first to notice it and start cashing in; businesses will start by hiring contractors when they need to increase capacity, which they will because their systems will start going to the wall before very long.

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
                  I had enough savings to last 3 months at permie salary equivalent when I started. Could now hold out for a year, much longer if I do a bit of translation and TEFL work, which is still moving along over here.

Remember that when the market improves we’ll be the first to notice it and start cashing in; businesses will start by hiring contractors when they need to increase capacity, which they will because their systems will start going to the wall before very long.
                  Hear hear - but this may be as far as next year. I think this year is survival.

Saying that - a particular Energy company is about to kick off a HUGE programe on their trading platforms which are going to be needed around 300 contractors so it seems. I think, as you allude to, companies will realise that the stuff that needs doing must go ahead and alot are actually realising that they need IT as an enabler to reduce cost.

Comment

Hear hear - but this may be as far as next year. I think this year is survival.

Saying that - a particular Energy company is about to kick off a HUGE programe on their trading platforms which are going to be needed around 300 contractors so it seems. I think, as you allude to, companies will realise that the stuff that needs doing must go ahead and alot are actually realising that they need IT as an enabler to reduce cost.
                    Permies that keep their jobs will miss the boat and miss out on a chance to earn good money because they just don’t take as much notice of the market as contractors; they sit there all cosy enjoying their false ‘job security’ while contractors (should) constantly have their eyes on the market to spot opportunities.

There could be an opportunity here too; businesses are saddled with testing approaches which are expensive, bureaucratic and clumsy and often entirely miss the point of testing. People who can bring experience of agile testing, context driven and exploratory testing can save them money while often doing a better job than the consultancy drones. Same goes for developers with RAD and agile experience.

Comment

Working...
                    X