• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Heads up - Those with savings in the Anglo Irish Bank or the Post Office

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Heads up - Those with savings in the Anglo Irish Bank or the Post Office

http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2009...nsation-scheme

Customers with Anglo Irish Bank and the Post Office, which offers accounts provided by the Bank of Ireland, have this week received letters telling them that if their bank collapses they will be entirely reliant on the Irish government for compensation.

The letters, which have been prompted by an edict from the Financial Services Authority (FSA), warn that the UK's Financial Services Compensation Scheme (FSCS) would play no part in compensating savers if an Irish bank failed in a similar way to Icesave.

Remember how the Icelandic government compensated UK customers?

Why would they need a "heads up" if they have had a letter?

Ireland isn't Iceland.

Comment

Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post

Ireland isn't Iceland.
      They might not have read it. The wife might have binned it. They might be working away from home.

If you think the finances of Ireland are far from that of Iceland, you is in for a surprise.

Comment

Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post

Ireland isn't Iceland.
        What, and miss an opportuinity to post some "bad news"???

You jest, surely?
        Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Originally posted by PM-Junkie View Post
          What, and miss an opportuinity to post some "bad news"???

You jest, surely?
          How is this bad news?

How's your head doing in that sand?

Comment

Those who haven't been paying attention, Ireland is teetering on the edge of insolvency. AIB is nationalised already.
            Bored.

Comment

Elisabeth and Mike Field, from Bedford, also feel let down by the change. "We accept that the current Irish scheme is a good one and does appear to cover UK investors. However, we chose to invest with the Post Office because it was covered by the UK FSCS," they said.

"We are surprised that the Post Office can alter the terms under which we invested after the event. We do not want the extra complication of having to claim under another country's scheme, should it become necessary, or to risk the problems that can arise when a smaller economy ,such as Iceland or Ireland, suffers a dire financial crisis."
              What happended to National Savings accounts? At one time they were the only ones available from the Post Office. Does the above imply that National Savings got shifted to Anglo Irish, or am I jumping to the wrong conclusion?
              Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by Sysman View Post
                What happended to National Savings accounts? At one time they were the only ones available from the Post Office. Does the above imply that National Savings got shifted to Anglo Irish, or am I jumping to the wrong conclusion?
                I was wondering this too, is this referring to savings in the UK or Irish Post Office?

Comment

Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
                  I was wondering this too, is this referring to savings in the UK or Irish Post Office?
                  Probably UK, but outsourced to Anglo Irish in Ireland. Prevents Gordon having to take responsibility for anything.
                  And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
                    It is referring to UK savers saving with the UK Post Office.

Note that the Post Office is not National Savings.

Do I have to spell out everything?

No wonder I'm rich and you are poor.

Comment

Working...
                    X