• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Holiday Homes

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Holiday Homes

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7842209.stm

These people contribute nothing to the local community and I feel their views shouldn't count for much at all.

Locals should just vandalize these second homes, I hate these rich twunts who are hellbent on destroying communities so they can have their 1 week a year retreat to the country.

Legitimate holiday rentals or time shares are probably OK as they woudl afford a steady stream of visitors through the year, but homes left empty for 46 weeks of the eyar is just ludicrous and the owners should NOT have a say, or else if they want a say, they should pay ALL local taxes, including council tax and every thing else.

Comment

Grockles

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by crimdon View Post

These people contribute nothing to the local community and I feel their views shouldn't count for much at all.
        I loved the 2nd-homer that they found to interview:

We had to go to London's Mayfair to find one who would talk to us - Nick Jacob who runs an asset management company from the capital.

He said: "It is a beautiful, special spot. Do I want to see it as a new road along the seashore... do I want to see a car park there... do I want to see an industrial use there with a lot of concrete... vehicles parked... that sort of thing? No."
        Do I like people who ask themselves their own questions so that they can give the answers they want? No, I do not.

Does this guy sound like a twat? Yes he does.

Has he helped me to form my own opinion here? Yes, he has.

Comment

Pah, fishing what kind of pathetic industry is that compared to betting on the value of things!
          The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

I'm looking to buy a holiday home when all this doomed crap dies down.

My family had one for years and it was used about 20 weeks out of the year

Comment

Originally posted by Solidec View Post
              Locals should just vandalize these second homes, I hate these rich twunts who are hellbent on destroying communities so they can have their 1 week a year retreat to the country.

Legitimate holiday rentals or time shares are probably OK as they woudl afford a steady stream of visitors through the year, but homes left empty for 46 weeks of the eyar is just ludicrous and the owners should NOT have a say, or else if they want a say, they should pay ALL local taxes, including council tax and every thing else.
              Local taxes are just part of the problem. They also force local shops and pubs to close because there is nobody there midweek to use them. Paying extra taxes to compensate the local community would be more fair.

Though a pertol bomb through the window midweek would probably be the best short term solution...

Comment

Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
                Pah, fishing what kind of pathetic industry is that compared to betting on the value of things!
                Lots of 2nd home owners in my village. Mostly somethings in the city. Mostly twats.

One of them has his friends down in the summer to play Croquet on on the village green and stuff their faces with Waitrose foie gras 'without the cruelty' and quaff inferior champagne.

Tut

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by crimdon View Post

What a well balanced piece of journalism that little gem is.

BBC at it's left wing, green eyed, envious best.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                    What a well balanced piece of journalism that little gem is.

BBC at it's left wing, green eyed, envious best.
                    How much is a holiday home in Swindon?

Comment

Working...
                    X