• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Homeless Tramp

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Homeless Tramp

I wonder what the homeless tramps make of all this economic turmoil malarky ?

Can you envisage yourself being totally destitute ? Is it something you ever even considered ?

(\__/)
    (>'.'<)
    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post

Can you envisage yourself being totally destitute ? Is it something you ever even considered ?

Yes, I have. The impossibility of climbing back out again would make me hesitate, out of fear. In fact I have come to feel the same fear about stepping off my current position/trade/skills/career/whatever: I am no longer even moderately sure that I could come back.

But you don't have to go as far as that to take a different view of today's situation. For a start, if you do not own a house, or rather if you are not owned by a mortgage, then the housing market doesn't affect you much. If on top of that you don't own a car, don't have credit, don't want any: then nothing much has happened; at least as long as you have a job.

But if you don't even have a job, or have one so near the bottom of the pile that losing it would be no loss, then what would you worry about?

Comment

at least they only have to read about it in newspapers they use as blankets

thankfully they don't have web access or Sky news!

Comment

Spent a week sleeping on streets and in parks in younger days when I wisely decided to go hitchhiking round Europe without a tent or sleeping bag and hardly any money. Great fun. Not.
        bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
        John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

I saw a couple getting out of the 1st class compartment of a train the other day. But that's Denmark's social welfare system for you.
          Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
          threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

I nearly ended up destitute during my divorce. I would have killed myself first. But I would have taken others with me.

Comment

Reminds me of a guy that got really pissed and fell asleep on a bench after a night out. A copper woke him up and told him to move on because he could not sleep there, but could he take his money with him. What money, he asked ?

Apparently, somebody had left a KFC box next to him and he had collected about a fiver in coins from passers by !!

Comment

Ive been homeless before.

What would you like to know ?

Down and out isnt that far away from anyone - in the space of three months I lost a job , lost my accomodation - my savings then lost my girlfriend.

The worst loss of all is self-confidence.

After that a spiral of living on friends sofas then when you cant face your friends finally lived in a former church for the homeless.

Dont think the above couldnt happen to you - it can,

During the time I lived in the former Church I had the most unforgettable spiritual experience of my life.

Oddly when you get to Rock bottom there is a kind of relief - this is it - you have no money, little or no food and yet - paradoxically you are free - you have nothing to prove anymore and nothing to live up to.

But this is it - you are Down and Out - what you feared and dreaded the most - and yet you live and life goes on around you.

The above happened to me 1993 in the midst of a very bad rescession - after 18 months I retrurned to work - when I see a tramp walking down the street - I can my own reflection there as well.

Oh and a Happy Ending - I recovered my confidence then worked hard and now own 15 years later own my own home outright.

But in fact you dont own a house - it owns you.

Down and Out
                God knows theres a lot of it about
                With - Without
                Its what the fightings all about

Out of my way - its a busy Day
                Got things on my mind

For the want of the price
                Of Tea and a slice
                The Old Man
                Died

Last edited by AlfredJPruffock; 22 January 2009, 09:05.

Comment

Originally posted by AlfredJPruffock View Post
                  Ive been homeless before.

What would you like to know ?

Down and out isnt that far away from anyone - in the space of three months I lost a job , lost my accomodation - my savings then lost my girlfriend.

The worst loss of all is self-confidence.

After that a spiral of living on friends sofas then when you cant face your friends finally lived in a former church for the homeless.

Dont think the above couldnt happen to you - it can,

During the time I lived in the former Church I had the most unforgettable spiritual experience of my life.

Oddly when you get to Rock bottom there is a kind of relief - this is it - you have no money, little or no food and yet - paradoxically you are free - you have nothing to prove anymore and nothing to live up to.

But this is it - you are Down and Out - what you feared and dreaded the most - and yet you live and life goes on around you.

The above happened to me 1993 in the midst of a very bad rescession - after 18 months I retrurned to work - when I see a tramp walking down the street - I can my own reflection there as well.

Oh and a Happy Ending - I recovered my confidence then worked hard and now own 15 years later own my own home outright.

But in fact you dont own a house - it owns you.

Down and Out
                  God knows theres a lot of it about
                  With - Without
                  Its what the fightings all about

Out of my way - its a busy Day
                  Got things on my mind

For the want of the price
                  Of Tea and a slice
                  The Old Man
                  Died

Thans for sharing that Alf. A rather moving and cautionary tale.

You did well to get back on your feet after that.

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by bogeyman View Post
                    Thans for sharing that Alf. A rather moving and cautionary tale.

You did well to get back on your feet after that.
                    fair brought a tear to my eye that did

God bless him
                    (\__/)
                    (>'.'<)
                    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Working...
                    X