• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Was the Crucifixion a terrible mistake ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Was the Crucifixion a terrible mistake ?

... Pilate even went so far as to make use of a special appeasement to the people, as it was the time of the feast of Passover, and offered the people their choice between a convicted zealot insurrectionist, Barabbas, or Jesus, to be set free.

The crowd,cried out for the crucifixion of Jesus, and the release of Barabbas.

(Oddly enough, the name Barabbas means "son of the father" in Hebrew, and many have speculated that the Romans did not comprehend that the people were actually calling for Jesus, who called himself the 'Son of the Father' in his ministry).

Nonetheless, it was Jesus who was sentenced to the cross and Barabbas freed.

Does this mean that in fact the crowd was shouting for Jesus to be freed rather than Barabbas but due to the mixup explained above Jesus was selected for Crucifixion ?

Was this the reason for Christ plea on the cross , My Father why have you forsaken me ?

Did JC lose the plot ?

Must be a zillion bucks blockbuster novel somwhere in this story ...
    Last edited by AlfredJPruffock; 28 September 2005, 16:23.

Originally posted by AlfredJPruffock
    Must be a zillion bucks blockbuster novel somwhere in this story ...
    Too late. You've told us the ending.

Comment

Originally posted by wendigo100
      Yes its much better if the end is a surprise like that recent film about the unsinkable ship, would you have believed it would hit an iceberg abd sink, what a twist. Never saw it coming at all. edited unintended pun there.
      I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
      Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Originally posted by wendigo100
        Aye Wendy

But it is food for thought though, at least I think so.

I wonder if this was in fact true ie Christ was supposed to be released but then that terrible mixup with tha awful Barabbas chap ... I mean why on earth did the crowd shout for Him rather than Jesus , was it all a mixup by the Romans ?

Then it must pose some rather awkward questions for the US God Squadists ...still it was all only a story and they all lived happily ever after.

So there.
        Last edited by AlfredJPruffock; 28 September 2005, 16:41.

Comment

The crowd,cried out for the crucifixion of Jesus, and the release of Barabbas.
          So it was a democratic decision, eh Chico?

Comment

Sorry , and your point is ????

I think we should speedily change this into a Monty Pythons Life of Brian thread and be done with it.

I'm Brian and so's my wife

BTW. If it's not a rude question ...........Are you a virgin ?
            I don't know my arse from an hole in the ground

Comment

(Oddly enough, the name Barabbas means "son of the father" in Hebrew, and many have speculated that the Romans did not comprehend that the people were actually calling for Jesus, who called himself the 'Son of the Father' in his ministry).
              It was also used by rogues as a pseudonym, i.e. the meaningless name "my father's son".
              Last edited by OwlHoot; 29 September 2005, 09:43.
              Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot
                It was also used by rogues as a pseudonym, i.e. the meaningless name "my father's son".
                I told 'em they'd got the wrong man...

Still, I didn't get where I am today by holding a grudge...
                Oh Jesus - Disaster Management Ltd.
                You know you'll need us!

Comment

Familiar

Spooky - this sounds sooo like a book we used to read at infant school. Anyone else remember it? Can't remember who wrote it but it wasn't Dan Brown.
                  'ha peeniss, ha peeniss, the greatest gift that I possess'

Comment

Bloody Romans!

Comment

Working...
                    X