• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

HMG cannot 'invest' in Barclays !!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HMG cannot 'invest' in Barclays !!

.. because if it does it has to pay 153p a share when the SP is 66p. I think this may mean that they nationalise rather than pay this price, although the article thinks the opposite!!

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/to...cle5563223.ece

It will be interesting to see if this lifts the share price this morning.....

Comment

Doubt it, if there is real concern for Barclays balance sheet, and Government realistically cannot invest capital (unless it's preference shares?) then that puts Barclays at a bigger risk of insolvency than if it were able to accept state aid surely?

Comment

The board, not short sellers, are responsible for Barclays' plunge

Barclays' shares have collapsed as a result of institutional investors rushing for the exit – not because of attacks from hedge funds.

The fact is that the City has lost confidence in Barclays, its board and its senior management team. The revelation by my colleagues today that the bank is now hampered by clauses the board agreed to just a few months ago will hardly help restore confidence.
        That's one point of view, anyway.
        Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

...and the collapse in bank shares occurring within hours of the freeze on shorting being lifted is entirely coincidental.
          Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

The fact Barclays shares are not one of the top movers and shakers in the FTSE100 today, and indeed much of yesterday afternoon, indicates mass shorting is NOT taking place. If Hedgies are not breaking the law and there really were only 7 short positions declared, it stands to reason that market confidence in Barclays is diminishing. I would say shoting is not LEADING the drop in shareprice but probably following it.

Comment

I still reckon that if the Arabs do not come up with the additional funding, HMG will nationalise rather than be held to ransom.

Comment

I used to work with Amanda Staveley before she made it big.
                Best Forum Advisor 2014
                Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Working...
                X