PDA

View Full Version : Scientists find evidence Antartica is warming

TimberWolf
22nd January 2009, 09:18
Okay, it's still Winter in the Northern hemisphere so global warming is exposed for the hippy tree-hugging scam that it is, but some misguided scientist chappies are still banging on about global warming as if it were really happening, despite ignoring clear evidence of it being Winter. Are they thick or what?

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2009/01/22/2472221.htm

Gonzo
22nd January 2009, 09:29
Okay, it's still Winter in the Northern hemisphere so global warming is exposed for the hippy tree-hugging scam that it is, but some misguided scientist chappies are still banging on about global warming as if it were really happening, despite ignoring clear evidence of it being Winter. Are they thick or what?

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2009/01/22/2472221.htmEr, it is Summer in the Southern Hemisphere at the moment, not winter. So Antartica should be warming up.

And damned nice it is at the moment I have to say. :D It has been a sunny 24 degrees all day, but it should cool down to 15 degrees overnight. :D

FSM with Cheddar
22nd January 2009, 09:41
Those idiot scientists using rational thought, and evidence based reasoning don't know nothing. They didn't even consult the Daily Mail.

DimPrawn
22nd January 2009, 10:03
and it shows western Antarctica especially has been getting warmer by about a 10th of a degree every decade.

Oh my god! 0.1 deg per decade in one part of the continent only, and it could all be natural warming anyway.

:eek:

Where can I get some new underpants!!!

:rolleyes:

EternalOptimist
22nd January 2009, 10:07
Oh my god! 0.1 deg per decade in one part of the continent only, and it could all be natural warming anyway.

:eek:

Where can I get some new underpants!!!

Please dont be flippant about a subject that I amongst others feel very passionate about, underpant purchase is a serious subject and the best place to buy 'em is probably M&S

FSM with Cheddar
22nd January 2009, 10:17
the best place to buy 'em is probably M&S

Definitely; those airflow ones are supportive and cooling. Shame M&S doesn't do government.

Andy2
22nd January 2009, 10:21
How do these scientists explain this bone chilling cold engulfing most of the world since last 2-3 months.

DimPrawn
22nd January 2009, 10:22
How do these scientists explain this bone chilling cold engulfing most of the world since last 2-3 months.

It's called the Winter.

HTH

Andy2
22nd January 2009, 10:26
It's called the Winter.

HTH

it has been exceptional with record low temperatures everywhere

Solidec
22nd January 2009, 10:27
Isn not the underlying train of though for the climate change activists that it is changing to more extreme conditions. The peaks and troughs will reach higher and lower respectively.

meaning hotter summers and colder winters. We have had 2 of the hottest summers since records began in the noughties and this winter has been colder than I have ever experienced through December/January. (granted I am not yet 30!)

One of the reasons Global Warming was dropped as a moniker was because it was more a visible change to long established climate patterns, ie more extreme conditions and deviations from averages not seen in over 50 years.

ace00
22nd January 2009, 10:34
Isn not the underlying train of though for the climate change activists that it is changing to more extreme conditions. The peaks and troughs will reach higher and lower respectively.

Sounds about right - wonder what the settled science behind that is? :freaky:

DimPrawn
22nd January 2009, 10:45

meaning hotter summers and colder winters. We have had 2 of the hottest summers since records began in the noughties and this winter has been colder than I have ever experienced through December/January. (granted I am not yet 30!)

One of the reasons Global Warming was dropped as a moniker was because it was more a visible change to long established climate patterns, ie more extreme conditions and deviations from averages not seen in over 50 years.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1126323/Spring-arriving-days-earlier-half-century-ago-global-temperatures-rise.html

Spring is arriving earlier than it was half a century ago, a definitive new study has shown.

After analysing temperature records from across the northern hemisphere since 1850, researchers say the seasons have shifted by at least two days.

They also found that the difference between summer and winter temperatures has become less extreme.

Nope.

One set of "scientists" tell us it's warmer, the others colder, another set that the weather is more extreme and another set it is less extreme.

It's all bollox mate.

EternalOptimist
22nd January 2009, 11:17
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1126323/Spring-arriving-days-earlier-half-century-ago-global-temperatures-rise.html

Spring is arriving earlier than it was half a century ago, a definitive new study has shown.

After analysing temperature records from across the northern hemisphere since 1850, researchers say the seasons have shifted by at least two days.

They also found that the difference between summer and winter temperatures has become less extreme.

Nope.

One set of "scientists" tell us it's warmer, the others colder, another set that the weather is more extreme and another set it is less extreme.

It's all bollox mate.

Please dont be flippant about a subject that I amongst others feel very passionate about, Bollox is a subject very close to my heart, especially my own ones

Doggy Styles
22nd January 2009, 11:41
If you think this was cold, you should have been around in 1963... :rollin:

And those who experienced 1947 say much the same... (snow up to the eves).They are the famous years of prolonged cold, but in 1987 I had the same snow in the footwell of my old mini for two weeks. The temperature didn't rise much above -10 deg C for all that time. My commute was only 20 minutes each way, not enough time to melt it.

And in the mid-1980s we had some nights of -20 deg C in Bedfordshire. A local milkman down the road lost two fingers to frostbite.

And in 1978 we had several football matches called off because our pitch was frozen and covered in snow.

We don't get 'em like that any more.

Purple Dalek
22nd January 2009, 12:19
I wonder if anyone has pointed out to these scientists that when it is winter in Europe it is summer in Antarctica? I've noticed that, generally speaking, it is warmer in the summer than in the winter in just about every place in the world I've been and observed this.

I must admit I've not been to Antarctica, but I presume to extrapolate from my, all be it limited, observations that, it being summer in Antarctica now, it would probably be warmer there currently than the yearly average.

Now, can I have shit loads of research grants?

Drewster
22nd January 2009, 12:49
I wonder if anyone has pointed out to these scientists that when it is winter in Europe it is summer in Antarctica? I've noticed that, generally speaking, it is warmer in the summer than in the winter in just about every place in the world I've been and observed this.

I must admit I've not been to Antarctica, but I presume to extrapolate from my, all be it limited, observations that, it being summer in Antarctica now, it would probably be warmer there currently than the yearly average.

Now, can I have tulip loads of research grants?

Good old statistics........

I will bet an awful lot of money that the next person you see has more than the average number of arms............ Any takers?

Mich the Tester
22nd January 2009, 12:52
Good old statistics........

I will bet an awful lot of money that the next person you see has more than the average number of arms............ Any takers?
Yes, he does, seeing as there are more amputees than people with an extra arm, the average number of arms is probably about 1.9999

Drewster
22nd January 2009, 12:57
Yes, he does, seeing as there are more amputees than people with an extra arm, the average number of arms is probably about 1.9999

Thanks Mich - You have probably just cost me an awful lot of money....

Not that I seriously believe that anyone reading this forum would be enough of a numpty to fall for it....... errrrrrrrr Hang on a minute!!! Haven't several recent arguments/threads used (out of context/biased) statistics to "prove" something or other............

EternalOptimist
22nd January 2009, 13:00
Thanks Mich - You have probably just cost me an awful lot of money....

Not that I seriously believe that anyone reading this forum would be enough of a numpty to fall for it....... errrrrrrrr Hang on a minute!!! Haven't several recent arguments/threads used (out of context/biased) statistics to "prove" something or other............

was it comfortable on that boat ? amongst all those bananas ?

Drewster
22nd January 2009, 13:02
was it comfortable on that boat ? amongst all those bananas ?

Eh?? And your point is?

gingerjedi
22nd January 2009, 13:06

Then I suggest you leave this to the board experts, you're not really twisted or cynical enough yet to comment on this subject.... Some of them even remember a time before Bono.:eek

EternalOptimist
22nd January 2009, 13:07
Eh?? And your point is?

I have a six year old grandson who wouldnt fall for your average arms jape. If you think thats actually any good you must just come off the banana boat

Drewster
22nd January 2009, 13:20
I have a six year old grandson who wouldnt fall for your average arms jape. If you think thats actually any good you must just come off the banana boat

That would probably be covered by my comment about not seriously believing that anyone but a numpty would fall for it....

My (original) point being that Statistics can be used to "prove" anything.........

Note: the use of quotation marks on prove..... by putting it in quotes I am acknowledging that it is a corruption of the word/definition of proof. ie Using (biased/out of cotext) statistics provides very (very) weak argument and certainly not proof. Even well supported and qualified statistics only provide support of an idea - proof is a different kettle of fish.

Note: Comparison to a "kettle of fish" doesn't mean that I am literally comparing the definition of the word proof to a "kettle of fish"....

Note: ;)

Doggy Styles
22nd January 2009, 14:39
Take no notice of EternalOctopus. He's got eight arms and thinks your joke is in bad taste.

EternalOptimist
22nd January 2009, 14:43
Take no notice of EternalOctopus. He's got eight arms and thinks your joke is in bad taste.

hhmmppf

Drewster
22nd January 2009, 15:46

On that basis my supposition is entirely wrong........ If the population is me, you, Mich, EO and the "unknown next" seen.....
Me - 2
You - unknown
Mich - unknown
EO - 8
Unknown "next" - unknown

A known total of 10 arms for a population of 5 is an average of 2 - so even if you and Mich are totally armless the Unknown next is unlikely to meet my expectation (more than the average)...................... unless he is related to EO obviously.

Doggy Styles
22nd January 2009, 15:49
hhmmppf:D

Cyberman
22nd January 2009, 18:03
Bring it on !! :laugh