• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

British Gas

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

British Gas

Daily Mash classic

http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/b...-200901221530/

Elizabeth Bradford, 67, from Dorchester, said: "Once again I shall taste the sweet nectar of Asda Smart Price cream of tomato. Thank you British Gas. I love you."

I had my boiler repaired and the invoice date was 1st December. What % VAT did they charge?
    The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
      I had my boiler repaired and the invoice date was 1st December. What % VAT did they charge?
      I blame Thatcher.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
        I blame Thatcher.
        No it's not Thatched
        The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Report 'em to the VATman then
          Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by Sysman View Post
            Report 'em to the VATman then
            Actually they did the correct thing.

If the services were provided before the VAT change, but the invoice is sent on or after the change, they are supposed to charge at the older, higher rate.

Comment

I did complain, the switchboard didn't seem to understand the new VAT rate, despite the chap who originally took the booking mentioning it. I invited them to look on the HMRC website after they infered I was wrong several times. Eventually it had to be investigated by their disputed bills department, who had to check the original booking conversation. A few days later they rang back to apologise after a review of the calls log confirmed what was said on the original booking.

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
              Actually they did the correct thing.

If the services were provided before the VAT change, but the invoice is sent on or after the change, they are supposed to charge at the older, higher rate.
              That's not what I understood. They were encouraged to charge the lower rate if the billing date was >= 1st december and the service provided was within 14 days of that date. Anyway they mentioned it when I booked, he made a point of telling me they usually bill on the date of fix, but to pass on the new rate they were delaying billing.
              Last edited by Bagpuss; 22 January 2009, 11:44.

Comment

As usual, with all New Labour regs, it's not that simple.

http://www.moorestephens.co.uk/websites/uk/uk.nsf/files/15percentVATChange.pdf/$File/15percentVATChange.pdf

'Basic tax point'

Goods: the date goods are delivered, collected or otherwise made available to
                the customer.

Services: the date the service is performed, which is usually taken to be when all work is completed (except for invoicing).

A 'basic tax point' can be overridden by an 'actual tax point', as follows:

'Actual tax point'

Either: the date that a VAT invoice is issued or payment is received, if before the 'basic tax point'.

Or: if a VAT invoice is issued within 14 days after the 'basic tax point', the date of issue of that VAT invoice.

So if the invoice arrived within 14 days of the boiler being fitted, then it's the lower rate else it's the higher rate.

Comment

I did complain, the switchboard didn't seem to understand the new VAT rate, despite the chap who originally took the booking mentioning it. I invited them to look on the HMRC website after they infered I was wrong several times. Eventually it had to be investigated by their disputed bills department, who had to check the original booking conversation. A few days later they rang back to apologise after a review of the calls log confirmed what was said on the original booking.

That's not what I understood. They were encouraged to charge the lower rate if the billing date was >= 1st december and the service provided was within 14 days of that date. Anyway they mentioned it when I booked, he made a point of telling me they usually bill on the date of fix, but to pass on the new rate they were delaying billing.
                  Go you!! How much did you save?
                  Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

It's the principle

Comment

Working...
                    X