• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Evolution in action ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Evolution in action ?

I always wondered if I would live long enough to see a fusion reactor, life on other planets, man on mars.

I also wanted to see a species actually evolve into something different

could this be it ?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/7840404.stm
    (\__/)
    (>'.'<)
    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

D. valgum [a species of dung beetle] no longer dines on faeces. Instead, the nocturnal predator prefers to decapitate live prey with its armour "teeth" and then devour their insides.
    It couldn't wait for the dung to appear in its own time. A bit like people that start eating before everyone is sitting at the table, except worse.

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
      I always wondered if I would live long enough to see a fusion reactor, life on other planets, man on mars.

could this be it ?

Interesting.

I wanted to see all those things too. I followed the Apollo program and watched the landing on the Moon in 1969, and thought, We're Off! Mars next!

But it never happened. Everything was an anticlimax after that.

Come to think of it, that was the year I first got in a woman's pants. It's all been downhill from then. Or as De Gaulle said in his New Year message, a Happy Soixante-Neuf to you all.

Comment

Worryingly, Deltochilum Valgum's taste in food is actually improving while that of Homo Sapiens is getting worse. Compare this to the millions of western people whose idea of food is McD's or even worse, and it looks like this might be another area where humans are going backward in a kind of 'reverse evolution' process.

Of course, beetles reproduce much faster than humans, so it may be that within only a small number of generations we are overtaken gastronomically, intellectually and technologically by dung beetles. Some people already have been and one of them spent eight years as President of the USA.
        And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post

could this be it ?

I think it's only classed as a different species when interbreeding with the "old species" is either impossible or produces a hybrid animal
          Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
            It couldn't wait for the dung to appear in its own time. A bit like people that start eating before everyone is sitting at the table, except worse.
            I heard about this on the radio yesterday. It's partial to giant millipedes, who are competitors for the dung.

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
              I think it's only classed as a different species when interbreeding with the "old species" is either impossible or produces a hybrid animal
              Indeed, but this may be the start of speciation, since the new lot will start living a different life from the old lot and may become unable to interbreed.

I feel that way about some of the people I went to school with.

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
                Thats the point exactly. At the moment it is not a new species, as you say. It is a mutation, or a variant, still capable of interbreeding with the 'stem' creatures.

If those 'stem' creatures died out (presumably through lack of tulipe) we would be left seeing the evolutionary process in action. This is exactly how 'survival of the fittest' is supposed to work.
                (\__/)
                (>'.'<)
                ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
                  Come to think of it, that was the year I first got in a woman's pants. It's all been downhill from then.
                  Indeed. Starts with the pants, then the silky underwear, high heels. But whatever makes you happy. Just make sure to think about it before you get the Op.
                  Bored.

Comment

Originally posted by ace00 View Post
                    Indeed. Starts with the pants, then the silky underwear, high heels. But whatever makes you happy. Just make sure to think about it before you get the Op.
                    she was in them at the time

Comment

Working...
                    X