• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Urgent contract requirement. Must have a clue what you are doing.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Urgent contract requirement. Must have a clue what you are doing.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7844442.stm

HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC) is still trying to fix a problem with its online tax filing system, three days after first becoming aware of it.

On Monday, HMRC admitted the system for self-assessed taxpayers was still inviting users to pay their tax via a change to next year's tax code.

The option should have been switched off on 30 December but HMRC found its computer would not make the change.

HMRC still does now know what the problem is, or how to fix it.

"Hopefully something will be decided today," said a spokeswoman.

"We are still trying to find out what has happened," she added.

Where do they find these people?

Why don't they get some of them nice chappies back in to do the needful with plenty quickness.

Comment

I've been affected by this problem in a different way, I submitted my 2008 tax return manually well before the deadline and I left the box 'blank' where it stated "DO NOT Tick this box if you want your 2007-08 tax liablities to be collected via your 2009/10 tax code'.

Of course the inland revenue decided to totally ignore this and paper billied me for the tax liabilities with a mandate to pay before 31 Jan 2009.

I called their offices to try and correct this and was confronted by stupidity and a complete lack of help and co-operation.

Comment

I will fix it for free! But while I have access I might just set my tax owing to zero.....

Comment

And there's me thinking it was easy to make a field non-editable and give it a default. I'm obviously not charging enough.
          +50 Xeno Geek Points
          Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
          As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Originally posted by Zippy View Post
            And there's me thinking it was easy to make a field non-editable and give it a default. I'm obviously not charging enough.
            Where's your requirement specification, your analysis, your test plan, your risk assessment? Have you considered the deployment, and how much will it cost for maintenance? You can't just go editing things on a production system willy nilly you know, there are procedures to follow.

Comment

It's not exactly difficult to test this kind of thing.
              And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
                It's not exactly difficult to test this kind of thing.
                I believe the ability of a customer (aka tax payer) to use the system was de-scoped right back at the requirements gathering stage. Testing was therefore unnecessary.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                  but HMRC found its computer would not make the change.
                  * I'm afraid I can't allow you to do that Dave..... *
                  Bored.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7844442.stm

HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC) is still trying to fix a problem with its online tax filing system, three days after first becoming aware of it.

On Monday, HMRC admitted the system for self-assessed taxpayers was still inviting users to pay their tax via a change to next year's tax code.

The option should have been switched off on 30 December but HMRC found its computer would not make the change.

HMRC still does now know what the problem is, or how to fix it.

"Hopefully something will be decided today," said a spokeswoman.

"We are still trying to find out what has happened," she added.

Where do they find these people?
                    2 trails of thought.

Little Britain (Computer says no)
                    Their testing process obviously worked well then.
                    If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

Working...
                    X