• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

At least High Tech in the UK is safe from Brown's Depression ™

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

At least High Tech in the UK is safe from Brown's Depression ™

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/n...sh-crisis.html

Tens of thousands of high-tech industry jobs are on the line as hundreds of firms slash their workforces by up to 30pc in order to survive the year, one of the country's leading venture capitalists has warned.

A Department for Innovation, Universities and Skills spokesman said the Government was "well alive to the issues facing small companies who are facing difficulties raising venture capital and also the risk this poses to the future UK economy if too many technology companies fail as a result."

But does nothing?

ISTM that this is just a "please fill my begging bowl as well" story.

tim

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
      [url]
      A Department for Innovation, Universities and Skills spokesman said the Government was "well alive to the issues facing small companies who are facing difficulties raising venture capital and also the risk this poses to the future UK economy if too many technology companies fail as a result."

But does nothing?

Erm, this is the same govt. that shipped all our jobs off to India.
      'Orwell's 1984 was supposed to be a warning, not an instruction manual'. -
      Nick Pickles, director of Big Brother Watch.

Comment

Originally posted by SantaClaus View Post
        Erm, this is the same govt. that shipped all our jobs off to India.
        Someone convinced them that those jobs were costs to the UK economy, not benefits. The presence of several ex(?)-Andersen people in cabinet is doubtless coincidental.

Comment

Loads of work for me...This Britannia -Co-op merger is gonna bring me loads'a cash!
          McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
          Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

You would have to be SERIOUSLY stupid to ship jobs overseas as a government, thats a crap load of money gone from the wider economy AND from tax revenues.

Govermnet needs to start giving real tax incentives for the rigth types of Industry in this climate.

Tax breaks for hi tech stuff, like what Canada is doing. You need to give people a significant financial advantage to do business in the UK else you are kaputen

Comment

Working...
            X