• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

references on offer of interview - is that OK or are they still trying it on?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

references on offer of interview - is that OK or are they still trying it on?

As title.

Agent said to apply I had to agree to supply them with references in the event of an offer of an interview. Is that OK, or are they still trying it on?

Originally posted by KentPhilip View Post
    As title.

Agent said to apply I had to agree to supply them with references in the event of an offer of an interview. Is that OK, or are they still trying it on?
    No - only reason when theyd need a reference is if a job offer is made. This is standard HR practice...but agents are Cortina Sales Men

Comment

Trying it on!

Tell them you'll give the references on offer of contract!!

(And then only direct to the client)
      "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Agent: "congrats you have an interview, could you please send the references"

You send references

Agent calls back "sorry to say, inteview cancelled because of <insert crap excuse here>"
        "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by Ruprect View Post
          Agent: "congrats you have an interview, could you please send the references"

You send references

Agent calls back "sorry to say, inteview cancelled because of <insert crap excuse here>"
          Agent calls back "sorry to say, inteview cancelled because of <insert crap excuse here>" <click> <dial tone>

Comment

Just go along with it for now. If they get you an interview confirmed, say you'd like to wait till client makes offer. After client makes offer say you'll give refs direct to client. Then you can forget all about it.

Comment

Originally posted by Turion View Post
              After client makes offer say you'll give refs direct to client. Then you can forget all about it.
              I think that last bit's a bit too-far though. If they have got you a job then surely it is only fair to help them out a bit with some pointers/leads that references provide.

Comment

I think that last bit's a bit too-far though. If they have got you a job then surely it is only fair to help them out a bit with some pointers/leads that references provide.

Suppose they call up and your name mentioned. Ex-Client might not be happy. Then you want to go back there......

Most gigs will give verbal references : but hate fishing expeditions.

Comment

Just do what I do - give written references but with the client contact details removed. Explain you can give details once an offer is on the table

WInds agents up no end - they usually haven't got an answer for that one

Comment

As title.

Give him another one of your phone numbers and give yourself a great reference, with a funny accent.
                    I'm alright Jack

Comment

Working...
                    X