• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

A seemingly successful interview but ...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A seemingly successful interview but ...

Hello All,

I had an interview last Wednesday. All went well and client said they would be in touch via the agency on Tuesday.

But on Tuesday the agency said client was having a "rethink"; they had, coincidently, just terminated a number of contractors and were checking to see whether any of these contractors could fill the contract I had applied for. The agency reported to me that the client thought I was the strongest candidate they had interviewed.

I have chased this a couple of times since but the agency are not replying to my calls/emails. I get the feeling that there are some “delaying” tactics going on here. I feel I am not being told the truth by the agency. Am I being too suspicious?

What would be the likely scenarios for an agency doing this? Or am I paranoid?

Thanks.

A similar thing happened to me. If you don't know by tomorrow assume you haven't got the position. Move on to something else and don't waste your time, energy and effort on this role any more.

Comment

Originally posted by Peter14 View Post
      I feel I am not being told the truth by the agency..

Agents are so far from the truth, they are in a parallel universe.

Stop worrying and keep plugging away for more interviews.

If you are lucky you'll land two offers and can play one off against the other.
      First Law of Contracting: Only the strong survive

Comment

Originally posted by Peter14 View Post

Thanks.
        You are number two choice and they are keeping you on the back burner until they get the number one choice signed up?
        The Mods stole my post count!

Comment

Sounds like they have found a candidate that will be more profitable for them. They are probably talking you down to the client as we speak.

One reason you should never tell agents where you have gone for interviews

1/ they are after leads
          2/ they will badmouth you to the client to get their candidates in
          The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

There are 2 rules:

Rule 1: Never trust an agent
            Rule 2: Refer to Rule 1
            'Orwell's 1984 was supposed to be a warning, not an instruction manual'. -
            Nick Pickles, director of Big Brother Watch.

Comment

I feel I am not being told the truth by the agency. Am I being too suspicious?
              Not at all. It's in the Agent's best interests to be 100% honest with you and their Clients. It's the "code of honour" they live by.

The agent is working his hardest to get you the best rate, and this can take time. Emails have to be written, CV's "bigged up", and a charm offensive needs to be conducted in order to land you the job.

Just be thankful that you have such a pro-active and altruistic agency working their little cotton socks off for you ! God Bless 'Em !
              Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by Board Game Geek View Post
                Not at all. It's in the Agent's best interests to be 100% honest with you and their Clients. It's the "code of honour" they live by.

The agent is working his hardest to get you the best rate, and this can take time. Emails have to be written, CV's "bigged up", and a charm offensive needs to be conducted in order to land you the job.

Just be thankful that you have such a pro-active and altruistic agency working their little cotton socks off for you ! God Bless 'Em !

Thanks for that

I am soooooooooooooooo glad I don't have to worry about all that <insert your own explitive here> any more.
                How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
                Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

I am contemplating calling the client direct - tomorrow or early next week. Would that be sensible or stupid?

Comment

Originally posted by Board Game Geek View Post
                    ... Agent's ... 100% honest ... "code of honour"
                    Hey BGG! Come back! You've left your keyboard unattended and some loonie is writing rubbish in the interweb!

Peter14:
                    One of my Top Tips for Work Seeking:
                    - when you have had an interview, have a tiny celebration (a takeaway, a copy of Viz, hire a video...), then write it off and get right on back to sending off applications.
                    Drivelling in TPD is not a mental health issue. We're just community blogging, that's all.

Xenophon said: "CUK Geek of the Week". A gingerjedi certified "Elitist Tw@t". Posting rated @ 5 lard points

Comment

Working...
                    X