• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Daft Question - PCG

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Daft Question - PCG

Do I join as an individual, or does my company join as a corporation?

And further to that :

Say you are contracting from 2008 - 2010, then stop contracting and also cease to be a member of PCG insurance. What if HMRC decide to investigate you in 2011 for 2008/9? Are you covered?

Or do you have to pay PCG insurance forever in order to be covered for past years?

Comment

If you want PCG's representatives in 2009 surely you have to be a member in 2009, regardless of the period Mr Taxman is investigating..

Comment

Originally posted by opc View Post
        If you want PCG's representatives in 2009 surely you have to be a member in 2009, regardless of the period Mr Taxman is investigating..
        You haven't answered any question with that statement.

Comment

Originally posted by opc View Post
          Do I join as an individual, or does my company join as a corporation?
          SInce it is not recognised by HMRC as a professional body ('cos it ain't one), if your company pays for you, you must reimburse your company as it is not a legitimate expense. Equally, if you pay you cannot claim it as expenses.

So if you are joining for you, you personally have to pay, not your Ltd Co.

Does that help?
          Drivelling in TPD is not a mental health issue. We're just community blogging, that's all.

Xenophon said: "CUK Geek of the Week". A gingerjedi certified "Elitist Tw@t". Posting rated @ 5 lard points

Comment

Originally posted by BrowneIssue View Post
            SInce it is not recognised by HMRC as a professional body ('cos it ain't one), if your company pays for you, you must reimburse your company as it is not a legitimate expense. Equally, if you pay you cannot claim it as expenses.

Does that help?
            Spot on, thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by TazMaN View Post
              You haven't answered any question with that statement.
              I have. In my opinion, if the taxman investigates you in 2011, and you aren't a PCG member in 2011, you don't get representation.

Just my view, it's not gospel.

Comment

Originally posted by BrowneIssue View Post

Does that help?

Dont tell my accountant that please!

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post

Dont tell my accountant that please!
                  I bung it through the books too... if it ever gets queried I'll just cough up the tax. It's the only thing I knowingly claim that I shouldn't. There's a weak and dodgy principle underlying that, but too weak to defend.
                  Drivelling in TPD is not a mental health issue. We're just community blogging, that's all.

Xenophon said: "CUK Geek of the Week". A gingerjedi certified "Elitist Tw@t". Posting rated @ 5 lard points

Comment

Pardon me if I'm wrong, but why are you not allowed to claim the subscription fee as an expense? AFAIR claiming it as an expense is fine, but you cannot offset it against corp tax.

Comment

Working...
                    X