• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

ee... that were a little harsh

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ee... that were a little harsh

When I was a young lad, my dad used to tell me stories about his WWII experiences. He had been a sailor on a battleship in the Med, then on an aircraft carrier in the Pacific. He told me all about the exiting places he had been to and all the things he had seen, he kept mostly clear of the gory stuff, at least till I was a bit older.

One day we were watching a war film, and I laughed at the American jeeps because they had a big piece of angle iron sticking up at the front , like a rigid aerial. My dad explained, it was to cut any cheesewire that the enemy had strung across the road, the idea being to decapitate the unwary.

My dad used to cycle to work and he always took a convoluted route along a dark path that ran next to the allotments, it was a dark narrow path, quarter of a mile long. He refused to take the more direct route because there was a fierce dog that chased cars, cyclists , anything, and it had a particular dislike for my dad.

One morning dad left for work, I was getting ready for school, ten minutes later dad was home again white as a sheet and shaking like a leaf. On the path, a cyclist in front had suddenly come of short, screamed and flew off his bike backwards. Someone had strung a wire across the path, just like WWII and it caught this guy on the head, neatly peeling a huge chunk of flesh and skin off his skull. They got him into a nearby house and dad vowed never to risk the path again.

That night when he got home his trouser leg was torn , bloody and he had a bandage on his lower calf. The dog had gotten him, he was not having a good day. That night he said to me ' Little EO , I need your help. The jerries, Eyties and japs didnt get me, I'll be buggered if that dog is going to'

So we went into the garage and I held the bike upright while he sat on it and measured out a length of string. When he was satisfied with the length, he tied a nut and bolt to the end. When it was dark he pedalled into the school playground and practised riding and swinging at the same time. He was whizzing this thing around parallel to the bike and about a foot to the right, so that anything coming next to him would be in the firing line. He swore me to silence.

Next day he winked at me then left for work. When he came home that night, he was white and shaking again. Did this guy never get a break ? Many years later, I was on leave from the military and I took him for a pint. He told me a lot more about his life and I asked him about the dog.

That morning he had left for work as usual, when he got near the street where that dog lived he began swinging his weapon. Sure enough the dog jumped the fence making a heck of a racket. The nut and bolt were a blur, the dog was at his leg, a slight adjustment to the length of the string and thwack, right on the head.
    'I didn't mean to kill it, but I wasn't sorry, and I am still not. Vicious b@rstard'

He is long dead himself now, I still wonder sometimes which of them he meant when he said 'vicious b@rstard'

(\__/)
    (>'.'<)
    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

The FRiday stories are back

I am upset about the dog though.....

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
      I am upset about the dog though.....

Why? It had taken a piece out of his dad and probably several others - EO's father probably saved the life of a child or children by taking out that creature. It wasn't a sweet family pet who was having a bad day. There was no 'Dangerous Dogs Act' in those days.

Bravo, EO's dad.
      Oh, I’m sorry….I seem to be lost. I was looking for the sane side of town. I’d ask you for directions, but I have a feeling you’ve never been there and I’d be wasting my time.

Comment

Originally posted by SizeZero View Post
        Why? It had taken a piece out of his dad and probably several others - EO's father probably saved the life of a child or children by taking out that creature. It wasn't a sweet family pet who was having a bad day. There was no 'Dangerous Dogs Act' in those days.

Bravo, EO's dad.
        It could have been put down humanely.....

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
          It could have been put down humanely.....
          Sounds like it was.

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
            a nut and bolt
            Hmm. Let's guess he went for a good sized nut & bolt weighing half a pound together.

whizzing this thing around parallel to the bike
            So, sat up on a bike with enough string to reach near the ground would be at least 4 foot of string.

... The nut and bolt were a blur
            Shall we say 4 revs per second? (Having just tried it with a power lead - much to her Ladyship's puzzlement).

'I didn't mean to kill it
            Converting from medieval to metric...

250g swung on a 1.5m radius at 4 revs per sec = 250g at about 37 m/s.

That's a bit more force than as 28g at 300m/s, which is effect of shooting it in the head at point blank range with a musket!

An abattoir cattle bolt gun hits at about 75 m/s and the bolt on them isn't very big.

, but I wasn't sorry, and I am still not. Vicious b@rstard'
            It certainly taught it not to attack animals with opposable thumbs and large brain cases in a predictable manner.
            Drivelling in TPD is not a mental health issue. We're just community blogging, that's all.

Xenophon said: "CUK Geek of the Week". A gingerjedi certified "Elitist Tw@t". Posting rated @ 5 lard points

Comment

Originally posted by BrowneIssue View Post
              Hmm. Let's guess he went for a good sized nut & bolt weighing half a pound together.

So, sat up on a bike with enough string to reach near the ground would be at least 4 foot of string.

Shall we say 4 revs per second? (Having just tried it with a power lead - much to her Ladyship's puzzlement).

Converting from medieval to metric...

250g swung on a 1.5m radius at 4 revs per sec = 250g at about 37 m/s.

That's a bit more force than as 28g at 300m/s, which is effect of shooting it in the head at point blank range with a musket!

An abattoir cattle bolt gun hits at about 75 m/s and the bolt on them isn't very big.

It certainly taught it not to attack animals with opposable thumbs and large brain cases in a predictable manner.
              It's a fair cop, I think he was more of a sailor than a student of applied mathematics. I agree with you, I also think that the mutt was behaving in an
              irresponsible manner, if you insist on biting someone on the ankle then you must bear the consequences of your actions.

(\__/)
              (>'.'<)

Comment

It's a fair cop, I think he was more of a sailor than a student of applied mathematics. I agree with you, I also think that the mutt was behaving in an
                irresponsible manner, if you insist on biting someone on the ankle then you must bear the consequences of your actions.

..I always have..
                I'm sorry, but I'll make no apologies for this

Pogle is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
                CUK University Challenge Champions 2010
                CUK University Challenge Champions 2012

Comment

Originally posted by Pogle View Post
                  ..I always have..
                  is that you speaking or the beaver ?

(\__/)
                  (>'.'<)

Comment

Originally posted by SizeZero View Post

Bravo, EO's dad.

Pity someone didn't do it earlier.

Comment

Working...
                    X