• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Zeity, not a lot of people know this

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Zeity, not a lot of people know this

Ref your long running 'Fed Up' thread.

I know where that phrase comes from.

Hundreds of years ago , hawks were used for sport and as a hunting aid. The birds are very shap and active, but if you give them too many rewards and tit-bits, they become full and totally lethargic, they refuse to fly.
    They called it being 'fed up'

Tomorrow we will do 'pissed off'

(\__/)
    (>'.'<)
    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    Ref your long running 'Fed Up' thread.

I know where that phrase comes from.

Hundreds of years ago , hawks were used for sport and as a hunting aid. The birds are very shap and active, but if you give them too many rewards and tit-bits, they become full and totally lethargic, they refuse to fly.

Conversly a Hawk that was hungry and ready to hunt would lose weight so thats it's breast bone became prominant as a sharp ridge down it's chest, and would be said to be "Looking Sharp".
    Last edited by DaveB; 23 January 2009, 11:03.
    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
      Conversly a Hark that was hungry and ready to hunt would lose weight so thats it's breast bone became prominant as a sharp ridge down it;s chest. and would be said to be "Looking Sharp".
      really. Blooming heck, i'm enjoying CUK today.

(\__/)
      (>'.'<)

Comment

Coincidentally, I expalined to an Italian I work with the origin of the phrase 'The wrong end of the stick'.

He a-liked eet a lot-a...
        Illegitimus non carborundum est!

Comment

Being someone who likes birds, and has kept and trained raptors, here are some more words off the top of my head that come from falconry...

auspicious: literally, looking at how the birds fly

augur: again something about how birds fly

kite: a hawk that can stay in one place in the sky

booze: the way a bird drinks often too excess, which then has an effect on it's ability to do anything, making it wobble about.

dawdle: the wobbling walk of a bird that has drunk too much

haggard: literally "bird of the woods", generally a wild female bird caught in a rough trap during its migration, and hence quite beat up looking

gorge: the neck of a bird especially when it has eaten too much, gets this valley looking thing due to two tendons either side of the neck.

callow: a bird with no feathers

gullible: a young bird will swallow anything

few: a group of young birds

hoodwinked: that's how you calm a bird with a hood that covers the eyes

chaperone: the little hood

stall: a decoy bird

codger: the bloke who carries your bird into the field so it doesn't poo on your nice clothes.

rouse: the way a bird fluffs its feathers when awakened

The main accident and emergency service over here is called Falck.

Oh and I've thought of 5 cars named after Falcons.
          Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
          threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post

Nice hawk anecdote. What happened to it then?

Oh, can we do 'buggered' as well?

Comment

[QUOTE=Doggy Styles;750973]Nice hawk anecdote. What happened to it then?
              QUOTE]

Threaded knows better that I, but I guess you would hood them and put them back in the falconry till they got hungry again.

I went to a bird of prey display near Penrith and the guy there had an Eagle owl. His daughters hedgehog went missing one day and they found the spines neatly bundled in an Eagle owl poo a few days later.

(\__/)
              (>'.'<)

Comment

Originally posted by threaded View Post
                Being someone who likes birds, and has kept and trained raptors, here are some more words off the top of my head that come from falconry...

auspicious: literally, looking at how the birds fly

augur: again something about how birds fly

kite: a hawk that can stay in one place in the sky

booze: the way a bird drinks often too excess, which then has an effect on it's ability to do anything, making it wobble about.

dawdle: the wobbling walk of a bird that has drunk too much

haggard: literally "bird of the woods", generally a wild female bird caught in a rough trap during its migration, and hence quite beat up looking

gorge: the neck of a bird especially when it has eaten too much, gets this valley looking thing due to two tendons either side of the neck.

callow: a bird with no feathers

gullible: a young bird will swallow anything

few: a group of young birds

hoodwinked: that's how you calm a bird with a hood that covers the eyes

chaperone: the little hood

stall: a decoy bird

codger: the bloke who carries your bird into the field so it doesn't poo on your nice clothes.

rouse: the way a bird fluffs its feathers when awakened

The main accident and emergency service over here is called Falck.

Oh and I've thought of 5 cars named after Falcons.
                The Falcon, the Falcon, the Falcon, the Falcon, and the Falcon?

Of course I believe it.

Comment

Originally posted by Flubster View Post
                  Coincidentally, I expalined to an Italian I work with the origin of the phrase 'The wrong end of the stick'.

He a-liked eet a lot-a...
                  And what is the origin?

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                    And what is the origin?
                    What was used in Roman times was a stick with a sponge on it that you would purchase as you entered the loo. Unless you were poor when you'd reuse someone elses. If you got it passed to you in an unfriendly way you'd get the tulipty end of the stick...
                    Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
                    threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Working...
                    X