• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Airmiles

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Airmiles

who are you registered with? KrisFlyer, MilesnMore, BlueMiles etc.
    what level are you? silver, platinum etc.

and as a slightly related question, which are the best european airport lounges that you know of?

no particular reason other than Ive realised im going to be raking in Lufthansa MilesnMore points over the next 6 months and wondered how they rate against others for airmiles and lounges..
    The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Platinum with KLM for the past few years.

It's quite quick to get through the tiers if you're flying each week.

As for lounges, it's very much airport dependent. The crown lounges at Schipol aren't too bad. Plenty of seating, free wifi, as much booze as you can drink etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
      Platinum with KLM for the past few years.

It's quite quick to get through the tiers if you're flying each week

As for lounges, it's very much airport dependent. The crown lounges at Schipol aren't too bad. Plenty of seating, free wifi, as much booze as you can drink etc.
      Really? I fly Lufthansa every week, and am on MilesnMore, but can't shift off bottom level. I get 250 miles per weekly return trip, and need another 34,000 additional miles in 2009 to get Frequent Traveller status. That's another 1360 weeks work, don't think I can do that! And on basic "member" level you actuall get bugger all except the ability to log in and see your flights

I guess I would need to be chucking money away on more expensive tickets to get there.
      Last edited by expat; 23 January 2009, 13:44.

Comment

KLM do it based on number of flights as well as mileage with gold membership after 30 flights. Since I have four a week as I go via AMS it takes me a couple of months only.

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
          I guess I would need to be chucking money away on more expensive tickets to get there.
          If it's anything like BA exec club, you get miles and tier points. Miles are available on most flights in varying amounts depending on how much you paid for your ticket. Tier points are only available on Full-price economy and above.

Still got my silver (free lounge) for another year, and managed a free business class flight to Bermuda and New york in '07. Need to get another contract in Moscow to really start ramping the points again...

On the subject of good lounges, BA in T5 is nice, as is the new Star Alliance (ex BA) in T1.
          ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
            If it's anything like BA exec club, you get miles and tier points. Miles are available on most flights in varying amounts depending on how much you paid for your ticket. Tier points are only available on Full-price economy and above.

Still got my silver (free lounge) for another year, and managed a free business class flight to Bermuda and New york in '07. Need to get another contract in Moscow to really start ramping the points again...

On the subject of good lounges, BA in T5 is nice, as is the new Star Alliance (ex BA) in T1.
            That's right. Lufthansa is very similar.

Now, Full-price economy is not something I am liable to see on my own money, so I can forget "tier points".

And the "miles" themselves do depend on how much you paid for your ticket. Heathrow to Frankfurt gives me this (one-way):

1.250 Booking Class B Y
            750 Booking Class G H K M Q S U V W
            125 Booking Class E L T

so it is hard to see how someone who is paying a regular flight out of his own pocket, who judiciously books 3 weeks in advance to get the best fare, will ever get anything worthwhile out of MilesnMore.

Comment

I book all flights through expedia

how can you tell if it's full priced economy or not?
              The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

When Lufthansa took over Swiss, they transferred my miles across, 1 for 1. What they didn't mention was that to get free flights from Lufthansa you need more than twice as many miles.

Oh well - I've got one free flight now.
                Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                  When Lufthansa took over Swiss, they transferred my miles across, 1 for 1. What they didn't mention was that to get free flights from Lufthansa you need more than twice as many miles.

Oh well - I've got one free flight now.
                  Ah, the demise of Swiss Air. The best airline in the world, run into the ground by kleptocrats with MBAs. It should have served as a warning for what's happened in the last year or so.
                  And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
                    Ah, the demise of Swiss Air. The best airline in the world, run into the ground by kleptocrats with MBAs. It should have served as a warning for what's happened in the last year or so.
                    Now that was a place to work for totty in the canteen!

Its demise was very sad to see, and I knew several contractors who got burnt financially at the time.
                    Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Working...
                    X