• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Watch out pensioners...you're marked.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Watch out pensioners...you're marked.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/4292342.stm

Tony Blair has apologised to an 82-year-old Labour activist thrown out of the party's annual conference by stewards for heckling Jack Straw.

"It was clearly an overreaction, a dreadful overreaction by stewards, who were understandably concerned about security," Ms Hewitt said. "Obviously I hope the apology will be accepted, and just as important, lessons learnt from it."
    Lessons learnt!! FFS!! This party never does what it says and constantly repeats the same screwups!!!

Police stopped Mr Wolfgang under the Terrorism Act when he tried to re-enter on Wednesday, seizing his pass.

His heckle came as Mr Straw told delegates: "We are in Iraq for one reason only - to help the elected Iraqi government build a secure, democratic and stable nation."
    Tell you what, if I heard that I would have abused Straw with a large shovel...
    If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

I hope the pensioner concerned brings an assault charge as that is clearly what happened - two burly bouncers, who would not have looked out of place on the door of a Nottingham night club, physcially hauled the old fellow out of his seat and manhandled him out.

Comment

Well if they have the audacity to say things like this:

"We are in Iraq for one reason only - to help the elected Iraqi government build a secure, democratic and stable nation."

and not expect a reaction then the party is just wallowing in it's own sh1t.

Added to say: just heard that w @nker Blair on the radio saying sorry, but immediately disassociating himself from the incident by saying "I wasn't actually in the conference building at the time".

Like, if you were, would it make any difference?
      Last edited by hyperD; 29 September 2005, 07:33.
      If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

What is Tony Blair’s main political agenda for this parliament?

“RESPECT”.

And what a fine example of respect his party has shown. This man has been paying TB’s wages all his life, and the respect he is show is to be roughed up by party thugs.

It’s sick.

Comment

Perhaps the local council should apply to take out an ASBO on the Labour Party?

Comment

I hope this will serve as a warning to those who believe that the government and police can be trusted with the new terrorism laws.
            This pensioner was initially held under the terrorism laws. Shouting 'nonesense' at a party conference, dangerous stuff!

Comment

Originally posted by voron
              I hope this will serve as a warning to those who believe that the government and police can be trusted with the new terrorism laws.
              This pensioner was initially held under the terrorism laws. Shouting 'nonesense' at a party conference, dangerous stuff!
              Spot on, Voron. New powers "reluctantly introduced only to be used in the most serious cases" (yeah, my arse) always, always end up being used to their fullest extent as a matter of course within weeks of introduction. Cops see someone they don't like but aren't really sure what to nick them for? No problem, just bang 'em up under anti-terrorism laws. After all, you'll have three months to think up something to charge them with.

It's knobheads like Chico who say the state must be trusted to know what it's doing and act wisely, no smoke without fire, done nothing wrong then nothing to fear, who will sleep walk us into a police state.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucifer Box
                It's knobheads like Chico who say the state must be trusted to know what it's doing and act wisely, no smoke without fire, done nothing wrong then nothing to fear, who will sleep walk us into a police state.
                Exactly, if an 82-year-old party member can be detained for simply shouting out "nonesense", it proves just how fragile our freedom is. It doesn't matter if you have never broken a law in your entire life, all of us on this board are just one incident or one weirdo away from being arrested. Innocence is no defence these days.

Comment

But if he is a lifelong member of the Labour party, and a New Lie supporter is he not deserving of being roughed up by them? How many contractors lives have been made a misery by the New Lies policies? So this guy was upset about Iraq, bet he wasn't upset about IR35 or S660A.

So, he gets roughed up by his own people ... well as far as I can see it, it is only fair.
                  Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
                  threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by voron
                    Exactly, if an 82-year-old party member can be detained for simply shouting out "nonesense", it proves just how fragile our freedom is. It doesn't matter if you have never broken a law in your entire life, all of us on this board are just one incident or one weirdo away from being arrested. Innocence is no defence these days.
                    One of the broadsheets yesterday had an interesting article from a barrister in it. I forget which one (maybe somebody else saw it?) but his gist was that both the presumption of innocence and the burden of proof required has been seriously eroded within the last 5 years.

Anyway, I've been summoned for jury service the week after next so rest assured I'll send the bastards down.

Comment

Working...
                    X