• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Giving up the cigs

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Giving up the cigs

My patches are making me feel sick today, maybe time to move down to the smaller ones..

Anyone else trying to quite too?

Originally posted by teclo View Post
    My patches are making me feel sick today, maybe time to move down to the smaller ones..

I'm cutting down, using the nicorette gum. My jaw is now so overdeveloped I could probably comfortably chew granite.

Comment

Patches kept me addicted to nicotine, gum gave me heartburn.

Only way i managed it (gave up 8 months ago) was sheer willpower and giving up going to pubs for a couple of months.

Having a partner who hates smoking also helps

Comment

My Dad died of a heart attack at the weekend after smoking all his life.

He was 59.

Give em up.
        Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Originally posted by ratewhore View Post

He was 59.

Give em up.

All of my relatives that smoked have died young. My grandfather on my mother's side died at 65, and an uncle at 60 being the youngest. Surely willpower should be enough if you want a good chance of a long and happy retirement.

Comment

Originally posted by ratewhore View Post

He was 59.

Give em up.
            Very sorry to hear that. That's just too young to go, these days.

I was a massive cigarette addict between the ages of about 20 and 38. Gave up for periods of 2-3 years several times and still went back to it, but finally kicked it.

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by teclo View Post

You need the Paul McKenna book, it really is very easy with that method. Prolonging your addition isn't a good method IMHO
              The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
                You need the Paul McKenna book, it really is very easy with that method. Prolonging your addition isn't a good method IMHO
                I used patches and they helped, but you must follow the program and reduce the dosage according to the calendar the patch manufacturer provides - otherwise you are exactly right - it will just be another addiction.

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

I gave up instantly with the champix. It was not even an effort.

I only smoked about 30 a week and that was when I was drinking, I would stop for days then have a beer and could not stop myself smoking.

Champix was amazing, you are just not interested in the cigs, I would recommend it to anyone who smoked ( unless you are one of the 0.001% that kill themselves when on it ).

Comment

Finally quit last year after 10 years heavy-ish smoking (1/2 to 1 pack a day) and a couple of failed attempts in the past. Wasn't easy but at the same time not nearly as hard as I thought it would be either. Probably the main thing I can pinpoint to getting through it this time was reading Allan Carr's 'easyway' book following recommendations from a couple of friends. Also tried the lozenges when I had weak moments - but having read the book really made me want to get over the nicotene addiction so tried not to use substitutes wherever possible.

Smoking ban in pubs also a big factor - who wants to be standing outdoors voluntarily in this weather!

Agree that having a non smoking partner (even if they profess to not minding the smoking) really helps as well - nice not to have to feel like you have to dose up on mints after a cig to take the smell away! (which probably didn't really work anyway!) Can't stand the smell myself these days (now that I'm capable of smelling it!) , don't know how the other half put up with it all those years!

Good luck, and just have the point of view that 'I don't smoke', and not 'I'm trying to quit'.

Comment

Working...
                    X