• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

A restaurant has ripped off my VISA card.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A restaurant has ripped off my VISA card.

A restaurant that I have used regularly the last 6 months has put through an unauthorised transaction for £300 last weekend. I just checked my VISA statement on line and found the transaction. Ironically, I was in there earlier tonight, never again though. They use chip and pin when I pay for a meal in the place. So, how did they manage to put the transaction through, they wouldn't know my pin I'm sure?
    Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
    Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Have you reported it to the Police? Maybe you're not the only one being pick pocketed.
    The cycle of life: born > learn > work > learn > dead.

Comment

I'm going down there tomorrow when they open and if they don't cooperate fully, the Police station is a 200 yard walk. Watch this space tomorrow evening!

Comment

The wonders who developed chip and pin decided that they did not need to encrypt the value.

It can be got at, not saying that is what they done but it shows you how crap the system is.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
          The wonders who developed chip and pin decided that they did not need to encrypt the value.

It can be got at, not saying that is what they done but it shows you how crap the system is.
          Oh dear......... The pin terminal is wifi..................

Comment

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/02...ecurity_pants/

Comment

Hmmm, you have me wondering. When I phoned an hour ago and complained to the owner the first thing he said was "Can't be us, we have chip and pin." That's a tell tail response maybe?

Comment

Just phone the fraud dept. of the credit card company and let them deal with it. In fact, you should have done this as soon as you knew money had been taken from your card.

The police would probably tell you to do the same thing.
                'Orwell's 1984 was supposed to be a warning, not an instruction manual'. -
                Nick Pickles, director of Big Brother Watch.

Comment

Originally posted by SantaClaus View Post
                  Just phone the fraud dept. of the credit card company and let them deal with it. In fact, you should have done this as soon as you knew money had been taken from your card.

The police won't be interested. Happened to me a while back, contacted the card fraud dept. Had to cancel my card but got all the money back eventually.
                  Me, me, me...

Comment

Originally posted by SantaClaus View Post

I did. The VISA co said that because I knew exactly who had debited the card and they were local to try to get them to refund the £300 first. Then to call them back if they refused. The owner said to go and see him at 5.00pm tomorrow so we'll see what happens then.

Comment

Working...
                    X