• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

HMRC gives free money..!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HMRC gives free money..!

..well not quite. A substantial credit has appeared on my bank account which I don't recognise, all the statement says is "SA". I called my bank and they said that's Self Assessment, and they've credited me money back into my account so speak to them. However upon looking at my self assessment account online, I am due a credit on 31st Jan, but its only a small amount and nowhere near as much as they've apparently dumped in my account 5 days ago, and there's no reference to this amount anywhere on my Self Assessment account.

I could call HMRC but knowing how inefficient they are they'll never be able to find out where it came from.

My account is an offset account, so it can stay there paying my mortgage off until someone takes it back!

Has this happened to anyone else? If so, how did you get it resolved?

Ta.

someone will miss it sometime, just enjoy the offset while its there.

Comment

Ah that might explain the mystery £206 that was credited to me under “BANK CREDIT SA” a few days ago.
      www.stormtrack.co.uk - My Stormchasing website.

Comment

I got some about 2 years ago : about £1600 worth. They assumed I would be paying tax I owed by adjusting my PAYE code : but then I went self employed.

I begged my accountant to have a word : he said pointless as they just dont listen or have any common sense. I said I would not cash the cheque but was told they would assume it was cashed.

I know I will have to pay it back at some point.......

Comment

Go on....own up. Who has has the YTS kid running SQL again!

Comment

A few years ago, one of the guys I worked with got £25K into his account from HMRC. It took them 6 months to recover it, but he kept the interest.
            Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

I'm not sure what you mean when you say "inefficient". All of my dealings with HMRC around credits and returns have been very well executed.

For 07-08 it was a bumper:
              £180 NI refund.
              £3800 refund on tax.
              Sval-Baard Consulting Ltd - we're not satisfied until you're not satisfied.

Nothing says "you're a loser" more than owning a motivational signature about being a winner.

Comment

Working...
              X