• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Buying and selling gold?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buying and selling gold?

Anyone opened a gold account as an alternative to crappy interest in UK banks?

Mate of mine sent me this link where you can buy or sell gold. Might be an alternative to keeping your money in banks, espescially during these times!!

I registered this morning and it shows the gram in my account straight away...dont know what I'm gonna do with it now....just sit and wait if price goes up or not....

There are I'd say 3 levels of investing in gold, depending on what you want it to do:

1. buy shares in gold miners, or a gold fund. That gets you into gold but does not protect against e.g. the government, and it is an investment rather than physical gold, so the price will vary depending on investor demand rather than gold price directly.

2. buy physical gold but have someone like BullionVault hold it for you. This does give you real gold, but not in your own mitts. When the govt calls in gold, yours is gone.

3. buy physical gold and keep it yourself. E.g. sovereigns, easily exchangeable and not subject to VAT or CGT. When Gordon wants more gold, you never saw any. This also protects against real collapse of the economy. I note that holding a mere 1% of your wealth in gold protects you against 2 00s chopped off the currency, which has happened to several European countries in living memory.

Comment

sovs no krugers yes

Milan.

Comment

Originally posted by milanbenes View Post
        sovs no krugers yes

Milan.
        Don't think so: Krugerrands attract CGT, Sovereigns don't.

Also, premiums can be higher (esp this year, arabs have bought all the rands), and disposal less flexible. Chard recommend against Krugerrands:

Lemmings - Don't Be One
        We can supply better coins for less money.

Comment

For some reason I thought this was going to be a Warcraft thread....

Comment

expat don't beleive everything they say

read more into the subject before making your conclusion

on the international scale, krugers are much easier to dispose of

Milan.

Comment

I believe gold in Sterling terms has not done so well recenty.

A friend of mine runs a website for a chain of jewellers : adding the capacity to buy physical gold online this year.

In the meantime, if anyone wants to buy physical gold then please PM me. My friend will do you a good deal.

BP

Comment

Brillo,

'I believe gold in Sterling terms has not done so well recenty.'

at 650gbp an ounce on Friday I'd say it's doing very well indeed

Milan.

Comment

Yeah Gold in terms of Sitrling has gone up about 40% in the last 12 months.

Comment

You forgot to add the 'golden' rule:

don't tell anyone (IRL) you bought it / hold it either.

Comment

Working...
                    X