• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Anyone weekly commute by train, Crewe to Euston?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone weekly commute by train, Crewe to Euston?

I'm considering a gig in London if it's do-able financially. It seems OK by train Monday AM/Friday PM for £200 return. Anyone doing Crewe>Euston>Crewe? I imagine the train is manic on Mondays/Fridays, is there room to sit down!
    Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
    Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Havent a clue!

However, to get the best ticket discount, if any are available, buy a one way to euston on the first monday. Then buy crewe - euston return for friday monday trip.
    I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

I've done the Friday trip a few times. Now that there's 3 trains per hour it's less packed. You should be able to get a seat - especially if you book one in advance and show up with 10-15 minutes to spare so you can claim it!

If you can book a few weeks in advance you should be able to get an Advance standard class single for about £15-35, or first class for about £35-70

Comment

As above, singles are much cheaper, check on trainline, sometimes first class is heavily discounted too. It's a very fast journey now, quickest trains are about 1hr 40 and the trains are modern (pendolino). It's not too busy, i,e, everyone is usually seated, when you book you get a reserved seat. You also get wireless internet. If I were working in the city I would do it all the time, bit more of a pain if you want to join up to other rail services
        The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
          You also get wireless internet.
          Are you sure? On virgin trains!? Is this something new? Ive only ever seen it on the east coast mainline.
          The Mods stole my post count!

Comment

As above, singles are much cheaper, check on trainline, sometimes first class is heavily discounted too. It's a very fast journey now, quickest trains are about 1hr 40 and the trains are modern (pendolino). It's not too busy, i,e, everyone is usually seated, when you book you get a reserved seat. You also get wireless internet. If I were working in the city I would do it all the time, bit more of a pain if you want to join up to other rail services

Looks like the Tory privatisation of rail services is working a treat !!

Comment

Originally posted by Pickle2 View Post
              Are you sure? On virgin trains!? Is this something new? Ive only ever seen it on the east coast mainline.
              Supposedly rolled out by end of 2008
              The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Supposedly rolled out by end of 2008
                this is great news as i cant get a 3g signal in those new trains.
                The Mods stole my post count!

Comment

Thanks a lot for the tips, if I can haggle a good rate I might give it a go.
                  Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
                  Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Off topic but worth a mention I though, wifi was available on 1st class GNER service (Edinburgh to London) (1-2 years ago) and the seats were well comfortable, someone would come round keeping your tea level to the brim, in the china cup I might add.

The first great western 1st class is truly a step backwards. The leather seats are some of the most uncomfortable (probably for easy cleaning I thought), wifi not available, and you still have to go the restaurant with your 1st class ticket to get a cardboard cup of hot water with separate tea bag. Worst of all the ticket was a good 50% more than the GNER, I though at that price I'd get a foot massage.
                    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                    X