• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

BT ADSL 2 and what is your broadband speed off peak and peak times ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BT ADSL 2 and what is your broadband speed off peak and peak times ?

Anyone know anything about when BT Home is going to provide ADSL 2 ('up to 24Mb/s !! apparently much better than the fantasy 'up to 8Mb/s we get now via BT'),

I've looked up ADSL 2 activation on my local exchange via www.samknows.com/broadband/ and it claims Feb 2009 !!, however it does not state when ISPs such as BT Yahoo Home Broadband will actually make the service available to domestic customers (I've heard no news about this have you ?).

Although I have heard something about 'BT Wholesale' providing ADSL 2 to other ISP providers and local businesses (basically BT seems to be updating their back end infrastructure only'.

Last question what is your download bandwidth via www.broadbandspeedchecker.co.uk during peak and off peak hours ?
    My ISP is BT Broadband, off peak its 5.1Mb/s and peak it can be as bad as 0.8 Mb/s but it usually averages out at 2Mb/s which is a bit poor for
    ultra modern capital of Europe London !

Don't you think that home internet bandwith is a bit p*ss poor ?

Just read this about a Swedish pensioner who has the fastest home broadband connection in the world

http://www.techradar.com/news/home-c...oadband-131117 apparently its 40Gb/s !!!

made me sick that did.

Anyhow I've looked around and there are some ADSL/2 providers already i.e. O2 / Be There / Sky, also Virgin have a 50Mb/s one coming out soon.

I dunno good old BT, lagging behind and still a virtual monopoly.

Anyhow back to my original question what is your broadband connection speed via www.broadbandspeedchecker.co.uk ?

Comment

Originally posted by eliquant View Post
      Anyhow back to my original question what is your broadband connection speed via www.broadbandspeedchecker.co.uk ?
      Do you specifically only want BT customers? Or are you also interested in the likes of:

PlusNet
      £19.55 per month
      960 Kbps download
      268 Kbps upload
      "Up to 8Mb"
      And the "unlimited" cap is at 30Gb

According to the NeMeter on my server, it can occasionally download at 1.46 Mbps (achieved by doing multiple parallel downloads).
      Drivelling in TPD is not a mental health issue. We're just community blogging, that's all.

Xenophon said: "CUK Geek of the Week". A gingerjedi certified "Elitist Tw@t". Posting rated @ 5 lard points

Comment

Originally posted by BrowneIssue View Post
        Do you specifically only want BT customers? Or are you also interested in the likes of:

PlusNet
        £19.55 per month
        960 Kbps download
        268 Kbps upload
        "Up to 8Mb"
        And the "unlimited" cap is at 30Gb

According to the NeMeter on my server, it can occasionally download at 1.46 Mbps (achieved by doing multiple parallel downloads).
        Where do you live rural Scotland !!
        Last edited by eliquant; 26 January 2009, 08:11. Reason: any customers of any ISP will do

Comment

With BT, 6.7Mbs is the fastest connection I've had despite being promised 8Mbs as I live in a village and a couple of hundred yards from the exchange. After 5pm the speed can drop by as much as half and it seems they throttle torrent traffic as well.
          Me, me, me...

Comment

Where do you live rural Scotland !!
            Rural Wiltshire.
            Drivelling in TPD is not a mental health issue. We're just community blogging, that's all.

Xenophon said: "CUK Geek of the Week". A gingerjedi certified "Elitist Tw@t". Posting rated @ 5 lard points

Comment

I'm on Be There.

According to the link information on the router diagnostics:

Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 1,291 / 12,193

According to http://www.broadbandspeedchecker.co.uk/ (as of 2 minutes ago):

Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 1,037 / 10,480

However, I did just download Firefox and it appeared to come down at a speed closer to that reported by my router. I've also seen my router report link speeds closer to 15mbps in the past.
              Where are we going? And what’s with this hand basket?

Comment

Originally posted by voodooflux View Post
                I'm on Be There.

According to the link information on the router diagnostics:

Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 1,291 / 12,193

According to http://www.broadbandspeedchecker.co.uk/ (as of 2 minutes ago):

Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 1,037 / 10,480

However, I did just download Firefox and it appeared to come down at a speed closer to that reported by my router. I've also seen my router report link speeds closer to 15mbps in the past.
                quick question with your almost 12Mb/s broadband is actual browsing any faster than your typical old 2Mb/s connection or not ?

Comment

I just have a 512kb ADSL connection. I am as far from an exchange as you can get despite being in semi rural south Cheshire. My ISP (Vispa, very good and local-ish to the area) have advised me against trying ADSL2 until the exchange gets upgraded to the "21st Century" technology whatever that is? They reckon I could get less than my (currently reliable) 512kb if I swapped to ADSL2.
                  Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
                  Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

21CN is BT's back end upgrade of their systems so in future all phone calls etc will be done via VOIP protocol, the extra bandwidth that this upgrade will provide should accommodate ADSL2.

Check on www.samknows.com/broadband to see when your exchange is sheduled to provide this.

I noticed that the London Euston exchange is now 2CN live but right now the rotters capped it at 9Mb/s, so much for 24Mb/s ADSL2 from BT then !

Comment

Working...
                    X