• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Salary ups and downs

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Salary ups and downs

I need to bring down the balance in the company account and it's going to be tax beneficial to do this over the next few years. So the easiest way would be a sudden 40% increase in salary for 2-3 yrs, and then a sudden decrease once it's done.

But is there any problem with adjusting the director's salary like this? My salary's always been roughly at the same level, and I don't want the hassle of being picked up by HMRC for a PAYE/IR35 check-up. Me thinks I should be able to do what the heck I want with my own salary , but maybe any increases should be gradual.

Originally posted by mkant View Post
    I need to bring down the balance in the company account and it's going to be tax beneficial to do this over the next few years. So the easiest way would be a sudden 40% increase in salary for 2-3 yrs, and then a sudden decrease once it's done.

But is there any problem with adjusting the director's salary like this? My salary's always been roughly at the same level, and I don't want the hassle of being picked up by HMRC for a PAYE/IR35 check-up. Me thinks I should be able to do what the heck I want with my own salary , but maybe any increases should be gradual.
    Really?

I assume that you are contracting through a Limited Co (I can't see that you would be asking this if you weren't) in which case the easiest way would be to dividend this profit out (assuming that you own the shares that is).

If you pay it all to yourself as salary then you are doing exactly what the government thinks you should and the IR35 check up is not going to find much extra tax to be paid.

Clearly there are a number of factors to consider here, have you asked your accountant may I venture to suggest?

Comment

I need to bring down the balance in the company account
      Put some into your pension?
      Drivelling in TPD is not a mental health issue. We're just community blogging, that's all.

Xenophon said: "CUK Geek of the Week". A gingerjedi certified "Elitist Tw@t". Posting rated @ 5 lard points

Comment

Originally posted by BrowneIssue View Post
        Put some into your pension?
        I wonder if there is any tax efficiency in making a charity donation?

But I agree with puting the money into a pension as being a good idea.
        If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

I need to bring down the balance in the company account and it's going to be tax beneficial to do this over the next few years.
          Surely any Ltd Co director should be drawing at the very leaset up to the 40% threshold (company profits allowing) each year anyway, so beyond this the next best option is ploughing the surplpuss into a pension, or making any large capital/plant investments for the business, eg Company Car (super green and petrol ofc) or IT equipment?

Comment

Originally posted by Solidec View Post
            Surely any Ltd Co director should be drawing at the very leaset up to the 40% threshold (company profits allowing) each year anyway
            Doing that through PAYE is expensive though, with employers NI to pay.

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
              Doing that through PAYE is expensive though, with employers NI to pay.
              Of course, but my point was how does reducing the balance in the company account prove to be tax efficient?

Are we talking tax effecient for the Business or tax efficient for the Individual?

Comment

roughly, how much are we talking about?

Comment

Originally posted by Gonzo View Post
                  Really?

I assume that you are contracting through a Limited Co (I can't see that you would be asking this if you weren't) in which case the easiest way would be to dividend this profit out (assuming that you own the shares that is).

Clearly there are a number of factors to consider here, have you asked your accountant may I venture to suggest?
                  Hmm, have asked accountant - not very helpful - he glibly says no problem.
                  He has been wrong before .

The dividend route is not viable due to my particular situation, as I'm in the middle of a 5/6 yr period of UK non-residency. Salary is currently set at £20k p/a and would like to up that to £40k for next 3 years.

HTH
                  Michelle

Comment

Pay yourself a 'bonus' of 20K

Why don't you just shut the company down though - take a 10% hit on whats left in there ??

Comment

Working...
                    X