• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Heads up: Monster.com data loss

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Heads up: Monster.com data loss

Monster.com has lost personal data.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/01...curity_breach/

"23 January, 2009
    Alert: An important security message from Monster."
    http://help.monster.co.uk/besafe/jobseeker/index.asp

I only registered last week. I know the site is p@nts and not as good at Jobserve but this loss of person data is just unforgivable. Do they not do security there? This sort of thing does pIss me off.

I'm de-registering but wish that I had not registered last week in the first place.
    Last edited by s2budd; 26 January 2009, 07:16.

Originally posted by s2budd View Post
    Monster.com has lost personal data.
    "Lost"? They give it away.

As soon as I registered with them a couple of years ago, the tailored spam started at the email address I gave.

Monster has a reputation for hosting the CV-tailoring, careers-advice and other parasites that prey on job-seekers. It must be how Monster makes their money, cos the job ads are pants.

Quite what the difference is between these parasites trawling every uploaded CV (which they do) and someone being able to see what you've registered with them, is that the hacker is only one individual / organisation and is likely to do less harm!

Anyway, that's what comes of storing your personal data on servers hosted outside the EU - where there are no privacy laws to protect you and no incentive for the hosts to care.
    Drivelling in TPD is not a mental health issue. We're just community blogging, that's all.

Xenophon said: "CUK Geek of the Week". A gingerjedi certified "Elitist Tw@t". Posting rated @ 5 lard points

Comment

Working...
    X