• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contractors with permie brains

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contractors with permie brains

This morning ClientCo held a meeting where everyone was told about cost reductions, redundancies and savings on training costs (clever!?) and of course contractors.

One contractor then asked ‘so what security do contractors have?’ How crazy is he? Doesn't he understand that we earn more in return for flexibility?

Another contractor answered ‘a savings account’.

The guy has been here so long (3+ years) that he’s started to think like a permie. Personally I don’t believe in spending more than 18 months at a clientco, as I want to keep the independent mind and varied skill set that gets me contracts. What do the panel think?
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Agreed, 18mnths 2 years Max, However new clients have sometimes questioned the number of short contracts, even though I've been back to most of them.
    But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

Originally posted by Gibbon View Post
      Agreed, 18mnths 2 years Max, However new clients have sometimes questioned the number of short contracts, even though I've been back to most of them.
      Agreed, but in these times best to stay put at your current client for as long as possible.

Comment

18 months - 2 years max. Otherwise you will become institutionalised

Actually I've met a number of contractors who act like permies. Many contractors have fallen into it rather than make a conscious decision to be self employed.
        Cats are evil.

Comment

I've worked with contractors who would be better suited to being a trade union rep. On site for 4 + years, part of the furniture, see it as a permie job, but like to pretend they are a business.
          The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

I've been with my current client for 3 years already - though varying between full and parttime. I've been asked twice if I'd consider going permanent - and I've declined the offer politely.

I've been here longer than most of the internals. I expect I'll be working here on and off for quite a few years. Especially as the permies who I worked with 3 years ago are climbing through the ranks, and keep finding work for me on various projects.

As it's twenty minutes from home, highly paid and interesting work, often involving new technologies, I'd be an idiot to quit. I did attend the christmas party last year, for the first time, but only because I helped with the organisation of the entertainment. Usually, I keep my distance from company/departmental events.
            Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by Clippy View Post
              Agreed, but in these times best to stay put at your current client for as long as possible.
              Not for me, got them queueing up, coming to end of a 3 monther and straight onto 6 monther 4 day week and highest ever rate and they've waited 2.5 months for me with guarnteed extension which I won't be taking
              But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

Originally posted by Gibbon View Post
                Not for me, got them queueing up, coming to end of a 3 monther and straight onto 6 monther 4 day week and highest ever rate and they've waited 2.5 months for me with guarnteed extension which I won't be taking
                What is your area of work?

Comment

I have a client company mobile, laptop and email address none of which I asked for, they expect me to clock in on the company system and I was sent a sick leave form to fill out the other day.

When I started this role I was asked straight away if I’d like to go permanent which I didn’t expect, when I enquired about the rate he said about half what I am getting now. I know I am a disguised employee in their eyes but I never wanted it to be this way, sometimes it’s not the contractor who needs educating.
                  Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
                    This morning ClientCo held a meeting where everyone was told about cost reductions, redundancies and savings on training costs (clever!?) and of course contractors.

One contractor then asked ‘so what security do contractors have?’ How crazy is he? Doesn't he understand that we earn more in return for flexibility?

Another contractor answered ‘a savings account’.

The guy has been here so long (3+ years) that he’s started to think like a permie. Personally I don’t believe in spending more than 18 months at a clientco, as I want to keep the independent mind and varied skill set that gets me contracts. What do the panel think?
                    Aye Mitch

You will find people a strange bunch.

Dont concern yourself too much with the puzzling attitudes of others - just paddle your own canoe and let the rest fret.

My take is that if you're happy were you are working then its better the Devil you know ... but then again Im at the sunset of my IT days and Im more interested in working with good people and working with companies that at least are not harmful in their activities .

I remember the past vainglory days of ruthless ambition as well ; - but I would trade quality and well-being for money - thats for sure.

Away with Ambition !!!

Whatever you do - Good Luck !
                    Last edited by AlfredJPruffock; 26 January 2009, 10:53.

Comment

Working...
                    X