• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reminiscing

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reminiscing

I would imagine most on here are no longer doing the same type of work they used to when they started in IT or even several years ago.

I was just reviewing a technical document, relating to a storage upgrade, for change control purposes and felt a wave of nostalgia when reading it as I used to be the implementer of such work back in the day.

Anyone else miss all or elements of previous roles?

Originally posted by Clippy View Post
    I would imagine most on here are no longer doing the same type of work they used to when they started in IT or even several years ago.

I was just reviewing a technical document, relating to a storage upgrade, for change control purposes and felt a wave of nostalgia when reading it as I used to be the implementer of such work back in the day.

I miss 1994-2000 when rates just seemed to rise and rise

Comment

I did a stint supporting software written for local government. I don't miss it. Well, no more than you miss having knives stuck in your back and twisted.
      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
        I miss 1994-2000 when rates just seemed to rise and rise
        I miss them years too, being a fresh faced teenager going through the educaton system was the easy life, ignorant and oblivious to the world of politics and high finance!

Comment

Sad git. I thought this was about blackjacks...
          Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Originally posted by ratewhore View Post
            Sad git. I thought this was about blackjacks...
            and fruit salads
            (\__/)
            (>'.'<)
            ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
              and fruit salads
              ....and Amaizin Raisin Bars

Comment

I miss the satisfaction which comes from knowing that a fair size organisation's core financial software was written single-handed by yours truly in an obscure programming language for a minicomputer the size of an American fridge located next door in the machine room. It just wouldn't happen nowadays.
                It's my opinion and I'm entitled to it. www.areyoupopular.mobi

Comment

Not quite the same, but I was going through some of the vast amounts of electronic files that one client had and found that they used to use an application that I had worked on.

The release that they still had on their systems was the first one released after I had joined the supplier in the late 1990s. I also found the release notes that I had contributed to.

I couldn't get it to work beyond displaying the front-end because there was no longer a database for it, but it bought back some memories.

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
                    and fruit salads
                    jumpers for goalposts

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

Working...
                    X