• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

numpty google question

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

numpty google question

I wish to search google for "@override" : but it insists on removing the @.

How can I do a search for exactly that string?

Ta.

Originally posted by javacoder View Post
    I wish to search google for "@override" : but it insists on removing the @.

How can I do a search for exactly that string?

Ta.
    Stick it in double quotes

"@override"

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
      Stick it in double quotes

"@override"
      Cheers for the reply. I just tried that and clicked on the first 4 or 5 pages that google bought back. Thjen I did edit->find on page. None had @override in.

What am I doing wrong?

Comment

@ is ignored by google, it seems.

Try searching just for @ and you get no pages found...

Linky.
        Best Forum Advisor 2014
        Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
        Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Try adding Java too:

http://www.google.com/search?sourcei...erride%22+java

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
            Many thanks! That finds me the defintion of @override which was what I was looking for!

Interestingly though the first link from google does not contain @override. I am interested (for a purely nerdy point of view) if I can get google to match the exact string? Is it impossible?

Really appreciate the replies so far. I can see that the more posts a user has the better they are.

Comment

Many thanks! That finds me the defintion of @override which was what I was looking for!

Interestingly though the first link from google does not contain @override. I am interested (for a purely nerdy point of view) if I can get google to match the exact string? Is it impossible?

Really appreciate the replies so far. I can see that the more posts a user has the better they are.
              http://forums.contractoruk.com/members/atw.html

HTH

Comment

*Has a keyboard / coffee interface moment*
                "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

It looks like they ignore:
                  Code:
                  ! ? , . ; [ ] @ / # < > .
                  except under certain circumstances (e.g. it recognises that "[email protected]" looks like an email address)

Comment

It's worth searching for atoverride too as some sites will include that to get around Google.

Comment

Working...
                    X