• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Brown warns against 'pessimism'

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brown warns against 'pessimism'

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/7850649.stm

The economic crisis should be treated as "the difficult birth-pangs of a new global order", Prime Minister Gordon Brown has said.

In a speech he promised to fight to prevent the UK and other countries retreating into protectionism.

Mr Brown called for "new rules" for international trade, warning against "pessimism" and "muddling through".

Meanwhile, the Tories will announce plans to make civil servants more "responsible" with taxpayers' money.

The UK is now officially in recession for the first time since 1991, with many businesses blaming difficulties in obtaining loans for the crisis.

'Fill the gap'

Last week the government announced a scheme to offer banks insurance against losing more money from the bad debts which started the credit crunch.

The Bank of England will also be able to buy up to £50bn worth of assets in companies in all sectors of the economy.

Addressing the Foreign Press Association in London, Mr Brown said such such measures were intended to "fill the gap" in lending.

He added: "We face a choice. We could allow this crisis to start a retreat from globalisation.

"As some want, we could close our markets - for capital, financial services, trade and for labour - and therefore reduce the risks of globalisation.

"But that would reduce global growth, deny us the benefits of global trade and confine millions to global poverty.

"Or we could view the threats and challenges we face today as the difficult birth-pangs of a new global order - and our task now as nothing less than making the transition through a new internationalism to the benefits of an expanding global society - not muddling through as pessimists but making the necessary adjustment to a better future and setting the new rules for this new global order."

Later, shadow chancellor George Osborne will tell the Institute of Chartered Accountants that a Conservative government would make Whitehall more accountable.

'Incentives'

He will promise to include a clause on the responsibility to taxpayers in the employment agreements of senior civil servants, with the Civil Service Code being rewritten to incorporate "responsible financial management".

Public sector employees should also be rewarded for suggesting waste-cutting ideas, Ms Osborne will add.

He is expected to say: "We need a need a new culture of financial discipline across Whitehall. That means new incentives, new information and new powers of investigation."

Mr Osborne will add: "Creating a new culture of financial discipline in Whitehall is not going to be easy. It will be like turning around a supertanker.

"But with a determined political will and the right plans, we can do it. We can turn the Whitehall supertanker and put Britain on the right course."

A ComRes opinion poll for the Independent suggests the Conservatives have increased their lead over Labour to 15 points - from five points last month.

It puts the party on 43%, with Labour on 28% and the Liberal Democrats on 16%. ComRes telephoned 1,012 adults from 21 to 22 January.

==============================

Whilst I agree the should not be too pessimistic, this new global order is total bollux. We need to stop living beyond our means.....

I'm not too sure I understand the benefits of globalisation so someone feel free to enlighten me.

From what I can see it means a starbucks and a mcdonalds in every country and also it enables the likes of Nike to use cheap (in some cases very cheap) labour in developing countries.

Gordon Brown (and others I'm sure) seem to view any global order based on solely economics but look where that has got us.

Ho hum, what do I know - bollock all I imagine...
    Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Maybe the new world order is communism?

'Owners of capital will stimulate the working class to buy more and more of expensive goods, houses and technology, pushing them to take more and more expensive credits, until their debt becomes unbearable. The unpaid debt will lead to bankruptcy of banks, which will have to be nationalised, and the State will have to take the road which will eventually lead to communism'.

Karl Marx, Das Kapital, 1867

Comment

Originally posted by ratewhore View Post
        I'm not too sure I understand the benefits of globalisation so someone feel free to enlighten me.
        It allows businesses who make worthwhile stuff to expand their markets and sell stuff around the world. It also allows skilled people to seek work in other countries if they need to or wish to. However, in practice this freedom has been abused in many cases by those who would profit at the expense of people who don't have any freedom, or who would run banks as ponzi schemes and thereby fook up the world's economy.
        And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Is it globalisation that has turned the UK into a services nation as manufacturing has moved to areas where labour is cheaper? So, if the benefit to the business is reduced costs and increased profit, what is the benefit to the unemployed workers in countries where labour is considerably higher? And consequently, what is the overall benefit to the taxpayer who has to cover the costs of the unemployed?

And now services has gone down the toilet as well. I'm wondering if the whole globalisation thing was thought through...
          Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Globalization - is that real?

I mean the Doha trade tallks failed didn't they. So where is the globalization?

All we have now is overpriced vegtables and fruits because of mass subsidation by the USA and EU. Get rid of that and we'll be inudated with better priced foods and be helping bring more out of poverty.
            McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
            Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

Originally posted by lilelvis2000 View Post
              Globalization - is that real?

I mean the Doha trade tallks failed didn't they. So where is the globalization?

All we have now is overpriced vegtables and fruits because of mass subsidation by the USA and EU. Get rid of that and we'll be inudated with better priced foods and be helping bring more out of poverty.
              I thought the idea of globalization was to outsource all IT jobs to India? In that way they have succeeded....

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                "Or we could view the threats and challenges we face today as the difficult birth-pangs of a new global order - and our task now as nothing less than making the transition through a new internationalism to the benefits of an expanding global society - not muddling through as pessimists but making the necessary adjustment to a better future and setting the new rules for this new global order."
                Utter tosh. There is no "it's different this time".

The rules are the same as they have always been, whether you are andyw with his pocket money or a country with a national budget - only spend within your means and account properly. Both of which he has failed at.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                  Maybe the new world order is communism?

'Owners of capital will stimulate the working class to buy more and more of expensive goods, houses and technology, pushing them to take more and more expensive credits, until their debt becomes unbearable. The unpaid debt will lead to bankruptcy of banks, which will have to be nationalised, and the State will have to take the road which will eventually lead to communism'.

Karl Marx, Das Kapital, 1867
                  This quote has been discredited. Like so much on the internet, it's made up.

Linky

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
                    This quote has been discredited. Like so much on the internet, it's made up.

Linky
                    Good spot.

Comment

Working...
                    X