• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Pretty much the end of steelmaking in the UK

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pretty much the end of steelmaking in the UK

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7850596.stm

We bloody invented the process.

I suppose it's like so many other jobs: mining, shipbuilding - hard, dangerous work that Brits won't put up with now for the pay on offer when they can live quite comfortably on the dole or the sick.

Is this actually the end of 'work' as we know it?

The vast majority of the population can't be 'knowledge workers' and the UK doesn't seem to manufacture anything of any significance anymore.

The 'City' has been shown up for the massive, delusional farce it always was - nothing less than a giant Ponzi scheme.

What do we make anymore that anyone would want?

I'm not a doom merchant but all of this is making me very apprehensive for the future of this country.

At least the British are too apathetic to take to the streets and riot.

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Empires rise and then they fall. Its part of the cycle of history. Previously it took centuries, now with information being instantaneous, it takes decades or years.
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by bogeyman View Post
      http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7850596.stm

We bloody invented the process.

I suppose it's like so many other jobs: mining, shipbuilding - hard, dangerous work that Brits won't put up with now for the pay on offer when they can live quite comfortably on the dole or the sick.

Is this actually the end of 'work' as we know it?

The vast majority of the population can't be 'knowledge workers' and the UK doesn't seem to manufacture anything of any significance anymore.

The 'City' has been shown up for the massive, delusional farce it always was - nothing less than a giant Ponzi scheme.

What do we make anymore that anyone would want?

I'm not a doom merchant but all of this is making me very apprehensive for the future of this country.

At least the British are too apathetic to take to the streets and riot.
      During the industrial revolution, people could just not understand how the country could go from 98% working the land, to 5% working the land. It was just impossible to imagine.
      Maybe we are having the same difficulty imagining the future.

(\__/)
      (>'.'<)
      ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
        During the industrial revolution, people could just not understand how the country could go from 98% working the land, to 5% working the land. It was just impossible to imagine.

Maybe. But my worry is that too many service industries and new technology are going to Asia.

We have to do something in this country.

Comment

Indeed.

First into the Industrial Revolution and first out. We are in uncharted waters now.

As somebody once said of the 'service economy' - "we can't all make a living by cutting each others hair".

Where is the wealth generator in the UK now?

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
            Maybe. But my worry is that too many service industries and new technology are going to Asia.

We have to do something in this country.
            we should turn to Nostrildamus for the answer. I will consult the Oracle and get back to you

(\__/)
            (>'.'<)
            ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

It looks like they are not actually closing down the steel mills, just putting them on reduced capacity for a while. With luck the jobs will come back as the global steel market picks up again.
              "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Yeah the conversation went something like the following:

"Oooh aaaaar! These new-fangled FeckTories for Manufecktoring . Oooh aaar the very idea, they don't make food I tell thee. How are folk going to eat. Oooh aaar!
                Hard Brexit now!
                #prayfornodeal

Comment

we should turn to Nostrildamus for the answer. I will consult the Oracle and get back to you

SQL Server
                  Hard Brexit now!
                  #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
                    It looks like they are not actually closing down the steel mills, just putting them on reduced capacity for a while. With luck the jobs will come back as the global steel market picks up again.
                    They will close these steelworks, I guarantee it.

A steel plant is not something you can easily mothball.

Tata have been stripping these plants of anything useful since they bought out Corus.

Comment

Working...
                    X