• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Replacing Domestic Oil Tank - anyone ever done this themselves?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Replacing Domestic Oil Tank - anyone ever done this themselves?

Oil delivery man has refused to fill up my oil tank because it appears to have a small leak and needs replacing.

Got a couple of quotes for having all the work done - both 2.3 k+ which is more than I want to spend (especially since I can get a tank for 300 quid). They tell me it costs so much because there's a lot of work to be done to get it to conform to all the current building regs etc etc & that
    only a registered technician is legally allowed to do it. Thought they were selling me a porky
    but on checking it out myself it looks a right ball ache. Just wondering if anyone else out there has ever done this?

Both Oil Storage Regulations and Building Regulations apply to domestic storage. Oil Storage Regulations state that if you are storing below 3500 litres you are exempt. If you are considering storing more than 3500 litres any new installation must be bunded. For existing installations all commercial tanks must comply by sept 2005. All new domestic installations must comply now and agricultural tanks over 1500ltr must have been bunded since 1991. Building Regulations state that if you are installing a new tank or changing an old one, any tank with a capacity of more than 2500 litre's MUST be bunded. However, tanks with less than 2500 litre capacity must be bunded if the tank is:-

* Within 10 metres of controlled water
    * Located where spillage could run into an open drain or to a loose manhole cover
    * Within 50 metres of a borehole or spring
    * Over hard ground or hard surfaced ground that could enable spillage run-off to reach controlled water
    * Located in a position where the vent pipe outlet is not visible from the fill point
    * Supplying heating oil to a building other than a single family dwelling
    Bunded = double skinned -ish - so choice of tank size & siting would appear to be key in your planning- how long would <3500 litres last you?
    How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Current tank is 1000 litres or thereabouts & that lasts about 5 months in the winter. Not planning on getting anything bigger than that.

Comment

I looked into it a few years ago when I had the same problem with a leaking steel tank. Ended up paying for it to be done proffesionally in the end as it was just too much of a job for DIY.

Biggest issues are where you put the oil in the tank while you change them over and what you do with the old one afterwards as it has to be properly disposed of as an environmental hazard. On top of that you have the cost and logistics of getting a crane or similar to lift them in/out of place.
        "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by wurzel View Post
          Current tank is 1000 litres or thereabouts & that lasts about 5 months in the winter. Not planning on getting anything bigger than that.
          http://www.oftec.org - will have all the info you need.

I've just done this. I needed a bunded tank because it was within 10 metres of a septic tank (controlled water). I went for a 2500 ltr Titan one. I was having central heating put in so needed an OFTEC inspection for the boiler anyway. What does the £2300 quote consist of?

Comment

Was about to undertake the same job myself but it's a complete nightmare.

I have 3000L welded steel tank that's rusting away at the corners and starting to leak.

Crane access is difficult and it's generally a logistical nightmare.

Pay the pros to do it and forget about it. Their work will be guaranteed but your DIY efforts wont.

My best quote was £3.7K so I don't think you are being ripped.

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Chugnut View Post
              http://www.oftec.org - will have all the info you need.

I've just done this. I needed a bunded tank because it was within 10 metres of a septic tank (controlled water). I went for a 2500 ltr Titan one. I was having central heating put in so needed an OFTEC inspection for the boiler anyway. What does the £2300 quote consist of?
              Neither company (both local heating fuel suppliers) gave a breakdown other than the cost of the tank which was 700 quid or there abouts (1800 litre titan). I think they pointeds out that it would need some kind of hard standing - current one is just stood on a couple of breeze blocks.

Comment

Originally posted by bogeyman View Post
                Was about to undertake the same job myself but it's a complete nightmare.

I have 3000L welded steel tank that's rusting away at the corners and starting to leak.

Crane access is difficult and it's generally a logistical nightmare.

Pay the pros to do it and forget about it. Their work will be guaranteed but your DIY efforts wont.

My best quote was £3.7K so I don't think you are being ripped.
                Hence you anger at the steel works closing.

Can't you get a Polish welder to do it for £50 cash in hand?

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                  Hence you anger at the steel works closing.

Can't you get a Polish welder to do it for £50 cash in hand?
                  Do you ever have anything remotely useful to contribute here?

You are an idiot.

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by bogeyman View Post
                    Do you ever have anything remotely useful to contribute here?

You are an idiot.

And you are a miserable old b@stard!

Comment

Working...
                    X