• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Know if both BT Broadband and Virgin Broadband will work in the same home together ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Know if both BT Broadband and Virgin Broadband will work in the same home together ?

Do you know if both BT Broadband and Virgin Broadband will work in the same home together ?

at the same time ? or do the two broadband services in a non-wireless way interfere with one another ?

Originally posted by eliquant View Post
    Do you know if both BT Broadband and Virgin Broadband will work in the same home together ?

at the same time ? or do the two broadband services in a non-wireless way interfere with one another ?
    Well I don't know for sure but I don't think it's possible to have two Broadband providers on the same copper from the exchange.

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

Isn't it two entirely seperate cables etc? - So no "conflict"

Disclaimer - I am a numpty on this sort of stuff, but 2 seperate cables, two seperate "modems", 2 seperate routers etc.......... 2 seperate SSIDs (if squirting wirelessly)

bogeyman obviously knows more - so ignore me!

Comment

Depends what kind of Virgin Broadband it is. If it's cable then it's entirely independent of the BT line. If it isn't cable then it's just ADSL, and I don't think you can have two telcos providing ADSL on the same line.

Comment

Originally posted by Drewster View Post
          bogeyman obviously knows more - so ignore me!
          Ah! Now you're getting the hang of it

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

You can have both, as long as they are on seperate lines into the property.

If the Virgin service is via Cable and BT via the telephone line then there is no problem. Just configure the respective routers to use different SSID's / channels for the wireless bit and it should be fine. You will just have to pick which router you want each wireless device in the house to connect to.

If both are coming via the phone lines then you will need a dedicated line for each one. You can do this but it costs extra as you will have to pay BT to put an extra line into your house for it, pay line rental on both lines etc etc.

Just wondering why you would need to do this though, it sounds remarkably comlicated.
            "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post

Just wondering why you would need to do this though, it sounds remarkably comlicated.
              Business/personal account separation?
              ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
                Business/personal account separation?
                Doesn't make sense though. You can't claim back for the cost from the business unless you can show you wouldn't have it anyway. If that is the case then just use the one service and let your LTD allow personal use of the connection.
                "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Excellent 50Mb/s (theoretical!) Virgin Broadband here we come. I want to keep the BT ADSL also ( I have my reasons ).

Comment

Excellent 50Mb/s (theoretical!) Virgin Broadband here we come. I want to keep the BT ADSL also ( I have my reasons ).
                    Virgin are tulipe unless you use them for business.
                    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                    X