• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Beggars

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beggars

If I leave my Hotel and walk about the streets of our beloved capital I am accosted at least once a night by someone begging for cash. I have decided not to give anyone any cash any more (I started this policy about a year ago after years of random giving). However, once asked I always feel guilty about declining, however if I really cared I could devote time and or money to homeless charities - but I don't. What do other panel members living or working in our fab capital (or indeed other places where they are regularly approached by beggars) do? Anyone give cash?

It's a bit like Christians.
    If you REALLY believed, you would either top yourself so you could meet him asap
    or you would sell your car and buy a donkey and give everything else away.

A lot of this stuff is guilt-aversion therapy

(\__/)
    (>'.'<)
    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
      If I leave my Hotel and walk about the streets of our beloved capital I am accosted at least once a night by someone begging for cash. I have decided not to give anyone any cash any more (I started this policy about a year ago after years of random giving). However, once asked I always feel guilty about declining, however if I really cared I could devote time and or money to homeless charities - but I don't. What do other panel members living or working in our fab capital (or indeed other places where they are regularly approached by beggars) do? Anyone give cash?
      You might as well give it straight to the local off-licence/crack dealer.
      ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

i usually don't give to beggars, the main reason being they'll usually just spend it on booze or drugs

prefer to donate to charity, though it's usually Cancer Research not homeless charities, or to mate's who are doing sponsored runs etc

probably don't donate as much as i should right enough

Comment

if you want to give, buy them a butty and a brew. dont give cash.
          I didn't say it was your ******* fault, I said I was blaming you!

Comment

I know it'd likely end up being spent on crack or drugs (as I did when I used to give), but in a way, who am I to dictate what it gets spent on?

Comment

Originally posted by scooby View Post
              if you want to give, buy them a butty and a brew. dont give cash.
              I agree.
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
                It's a bit like Christians.
                If you REALLY believed, you would either top yourself so you could meet him asap
                or you would sell your car and buy a donkey and give everything else away.
                Nice line. Unscriptural though... why do I have to get a donkey though, they're pretty expensive and hard to cater for in the city centre?
                Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                Originally posted by vetran
                Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

I only ever buy the big issue to assist. At least I feel they have "worked" for it and are trying to make progress in life.

I believe a very high percentage of homeless men lost everything in their divorce.....

Comment

I buy the Big Issue too - Although..... I have been buying it off the same guy for about 4 years, I thought the idea was that it gave them a step towards rebuilding their life? Not sure though...
                    Bazza gets caught
                    Socrates - "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

CUK University Challenge Champions 2010

Comment

Working...
                    X