• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Twitter

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Twitter

Anyone here use it? I can't see how it works without signing up - and I'm not certain I can be bothered to sign up unless I can see the point......which I can't - but you may know differently, of course.

Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
    Anyone here use it? I can't see how it works without signing up - and I'm not certain I can be bothered to sign up unless I can see the point......which I can't - but you may know differently, of course.
    Loads of people on linkedin seem to ask this question too. Having read the answers I can't see the point, unless you are famous or have some reason for groupies to be hanging on waiting for news of your every action.

Oh and Jeremy Clarkson had something to say on it, I can't remember the exact words but it involved calling someone a twit!
    This default font is sooooooooooooo boring and so are short usernames

Comment

MrsF uses it LOADS.

But she "works from home" so has more time to do things like that than actually working for a living.
      Best Forum Advisor 2014
      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Never used it as yet - isn't it just a type of messenger, except you've fewer options?
        Speaking gibberish on internet talkboards since last Michaelmas. Plus here on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by MrMark View Post
          Never used it as yet - isn't it just a type of messenger, except you've fewer options?
          Dunno, hence the question - an acquaintance of mine who seems to think facebook should be compulsory also seems to think the same about twitter. I'd ask him to explain, but I know he won't talk any sense.

Comment

I know I've had 6 different "Twitter is now following you" emails since the 23rd on one of my GoogleMail.com accounts, and I have no idea why.
            Drivelling in TPD is not a mental health issue. We're just community blogging, that's all.

Xenophon said: "CUK Geek of the Week". A gingerjedi certified "Elitist Tw@t". Posting rated @ 5 lard points

Comment

I don't much like how the internet lately seems to have become a universe of must have/use fad sites, like rubiks cubes, hula hoops and furbys in a school playground.

Who can be bothered with it all, it's for kids.

Comment

Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
                Bit of a description here.

Click on the links in this article to see examples of (famous) users Twitter pages.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMark View Post
                  It seems to me that it is like the status section on Facebook without all the other things that go with FB.

At the moment anyway.

Its probably more appealing if you want to keep control of your privacy and you have been busted for joining the "I like to sniff my Mother-In-Laws panties when I visit her house" group* in the past.

Its probably appealing for people who live lives that are not completely predictable on a day to day basis and want to keep people informed of what they are up to. It seems a bit more user-friendly for providing that service than FB does because it is a lot slimmer.

I signed up, but noone else I know has, so I haven't bothered. I am not interested in following the day to day activities of someone else that I have never met, even if it is Mr Fry.

There is a short clip on the bbc website:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7845823.stm (SFW)

I like the moment where he flinches when he starts a sentence that he realises mid-way should be more technical and he's out of his depth, but a good effort though.

*I made that up. I have no idea if it really exists. I hope not.
                  Last edited by Gonzo; 26 January 2009, 22:12.

Comment

Originally posted by Clippy View Post
                    Click on the links in this article
                    "dedicated Twitterer and geek pin-up Stephen Fry"

They are having a laugh, aren't they? Please don't tell me anyone has a Stephen Fry pin-up please?
                    Drivelling in TPD is not a mental health issue. We're just community blogging, that's all.

Xenophon said: "CUK Geek of the Week". A gingerjedi certified "Elitist Tw@t". Posting rated @ 5 lard points

Comment

Working...
                    X