• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Iceland's government collapses under strain of financial crisis

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/f...al-crisis.html

Iceland's coalition government has collapsed under the pressure of the world financial crisis.

The country's prime minister, Geir Haarde, said on Monday that his coalition government had fallen apart because of the escalating economic crisis and added that he would hand in his resignation to the president.

"I really regret that we could not continue with this coalition. I believe that that would have been the best result," he told reporters at parliament.

Mr Haarde's government, a coalition between his Independence Party and the Social Democratic Alliance, has been under pressure since the global financial crisis hit Iceland in October.

Iceland's economy is expected to shrink by 9.6 per cent this year, while unemployment is rising rapidly.

Last week, Mr Haarde had called for an early general election to be held in May.

He said he would not contest because of health reasons.

Earlier on Monday morning, Iceland's commerce minister, Bjorgvin Sigurdsson, announced his resignation, saying that he wanted to take responsibility for the counter's economic woes.

"I want to shoulder my part of the responsibility for that," he said.

"The anger and distrust of the public is too deep for me to be able to regain their trust," he added. "This will not be regained until changes in key institutions have been made."

==========================================

UK government next?

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post

UK government next?
    No, don't be ridiculous!

Ireland next, then perhaps Spain, then the UK.

HTH

Comment

Working...
    X