• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Transforming an organisation

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Transforming an organisation

I had an argument with my client's HR department this morning regarding the nature and specifics of change management. So I wondered what this forum's esteemed membership believe the solution to be.

In order to successfully transform an organisation, should the priority be on change led from the top down (e.g. senior executive pushing through change and lending his full weight to the initiative), or should it be bottom up (e.g. embracing ALL staff, canvassing opinion and then feeding the suggestions up to management)?

Ideally it's top down, in reality it's both: the best process in the world is no good if you can't sell it to the guys that have to use it, and that won't happen if the executive layer is not fully committed (yes, I know, most of them should be!)

The other trick to gain worker-level acceptance is to make it easier to follow the process than to buck it - for example, CAB refusal if your change hasn't got the necessary permissions and back-out plans up front, or add compliance to performance reviews and the like (again, no use for contractors, that one!) - and that can't happen without executive authority.

Any damn fool can write a process; the hardest part of any business change is persuading the people to change, and that problem is across the board. That's why I charge so much...
    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

thats the great thing about contracting. I really don't care...

Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Build a support base of those who suffer most from lack of a properly defined process. List what improvements, cost savings etc can be made with new processes and present to the top. Get your supporters to push out their new processes's and let them take ownership

Comment

Best driver for change

Bottom up, since it is those who are on the coal face who are most aware of the problems, but upper management have the job of turning that into policy in which case business must operate in an environment which allows improvements suggested by the bottom to flourish.

Comment

Presonally I dont see a relationship between organisational processes and business success , in my past 20 years I would say that those whom are sucessfull in business are so due to a mixture of luck, acumen and being in the right place at the right time, and of course good karma.

No entreprising businessman I know would ever give much thought to creating an HR dept.

Comment

There's an old adage:

You know when your company doesn't know how to invest its profits wisely when it decides to create a Personnel Department.
              If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

Originally posted by hyperD
                There's an old adage:

You know when your company doesn't know how to invest its profits wisely when it decides to create a Personnel Department.
                Ah now thats nostalgia, Personnel, I remember back in the 80s we used to have Personnel Depts , mainly elderly wise gents with blazers who would be there to take care of disputes etc I despise many of these HR depts with their ruthless bitter divorcees and their god damn processes flowcharts and trasnformations ....

Oh to hell with it all ... I never wanted to work in some god damn office .., Ialways to be A LUMERJACK WITH MY BEST GIRL BY MY SIDE WE WOULD SING

YES SING ....

YES SING ...

An apology ... Alfie hasnt been feeling too well recently what with the Oil Prices and Middle Age Crises so an apology for any irrelevant and even irreverent comments
                Last edited by AlfredJPruffock; 29 September 2005, 16:14.

Comment

Originally posted by AlfredJPruffock
                  Ah now thats nostalgia, Personnel, I remember back in the 80s we used to have Personnel Depts , mainly elderly wise gents with blazers who would be there to take care of disputes etc I despise many of these HR depts with their ruthless bitter divorcees and their god damn processes flowcharts and trasnformations ....

Oh to hell with it all ... I never wanted to work in some god damn office .., Ialways to be A LUMERJACK WITH MY BEST GIRL BY MY SIDE WE WOULD SING

YES SING ....

YES SING ...

An apology ... Alfie hasnt been feeling too well recently what with the Oil Prices and Middle Age Crises so an apology for any irrelevant and even irreverent comments
                  Have you ever thought of embracing Jesus?

LGJC - In "Blatant Chico" mode!
                  Oh Jesus - Disaster Management Ltd.
                  You know you'll need us!

Comment

Personnel departments these days seem to be full of contractor hating bitches. They make my skin crawl.

Comment

Working...
                    X