• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

New power to confiscate passports without going through the courts.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New power to confiscate passports without going through the courts.

Driving licences too.

Beeb article

Absent parents who do not pay child support could have their passports and driving licences seized without having to be taken to court.

Other powers open to the CMEC include taking money from a bank account without going through the courts; applying for a curfew, or recovering money from a dead person's estate.

Opponents are worried that civil liberties may be undermined if bureaucrats have the power to take away passports and driving licences.
    This was first reported in the The Sunday Times December 23, 2007
    linky

The Lords report, published this month, says officials at the Child Maintenance and Enforcement Commission (CMEC), the body that will replace the Child Support Agency, should go through the magistrates’ courts. “We can see no justification for granting the CMEC the right to remove a person’s passport and identity card without reference to the courts,” it says.
    That didn't work then

I'll mention the case of a mate in the early 1990s here. He'd given his missus the house and car when they divorced, in exchange for no maintenance. He did of course pay maintenance for his kids and never missed a payment, but the CSA still came after him for more brass.

Supposing the new rules had been in force and they nicked his driving licence from him, he would have lost his job too.
    Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Soon it will be extended to those who dont pay their tax. Well, to clarify, those who pay their tax but HMRC dont think you have paid enough.

Comment

Originally posted by Sysman View Post
      Driving licences too.

Beeb article

This was first reported in the The Sunday Times December 23, 2007
      linky

That didn't work then

I'll mention the case of a mate in the early 1990s here. He'd given his missus the house and car when they divorced, in exchange for no maintenance. He did of course pay maintenance for his kids and never missed a payment, but the CSA still came after him for more brass.

Supposing the new rules had been in force and they nicked his driving licence from him, he would have lost his job too.
      It's only fair. Next time I step into a court though, I may strap on a pair of false tits...
      Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Typical. More daft bollocks laws instead of enforcement. My sis is owed 10k + by her ex for child maintenance because he knows no-one can touch him. He even brags about his tax and maintenance evasion.

Comment

Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
          Typical. More daft bollocks laws instead of enforcement. My sis is owed 10k + by her ex for child maintenance because he knows no-one can touch him. He even brags about his tax and maintenance evasion.
          Its a very good point. There are plenty of ways of enforcing the current law. Recently a friend was jailed for "owing" the CSA money. He actually owed nothing but convincing the CSA otherwise is impossible.

Of course there are plenty of ways of confusing the CSA. Try sending them a cheque for what you owe + £1 : then ask for the £1 back! Causes total mayhem. Alledgedly. Not that I would do anything like that......

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
            Alledgedly. Not that I would do anything like that......
            butter wouldn't melt eh.
            opinion of BP goes up ten notches.

(\__/)
            (>'.'<)
            ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Its a very good point. There are plenty of ways of enforcing the current law. Recently a friend was jailed for "owing" the CSA money. He actually owed nothing but convincing the CSA otherwise is impossible.

Of course there are plenty of ways of confusing the CSA. Try sending them a cheque for what you owe + £1 : then ask for the £1 back! Causes total mayhem. Alledgedly. Not that I would do anything like that......
              I assume jailing my ex bro in law isn't an option as he does see the kids. His technique is to pay random sums amounting a tiny part of the correct figure on a random basis

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
                butter wouldn't melt eh.
                opinion of BP goes up ten notches.

So -90 notches now?

Comment

So -90 notches now?
                  It could be worse. You could be Tay
                  (\__/)
                  (>'.'<)
                  ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

He has also recently claimed to be out of work and on JSA although oddly has just bought a new additional car and continues to run his business exactly as before. Then there's the Lotus in his garage we aren't supposed to know about. No matter, when they are old enough the kids will (sadly) work it out.

Comment

Working...
                    X