• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

oh dear: House prices continue to fall

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

oh dear: House prices continue to fall

House prices continue to fall
    Jane Padgham, Evening Standard

HOUSE prices are still falling despite a healthy pick-up in sales, Britain's biggest building society revealed today.

Nationwide said the average price of a home slipped 0.2% to £156,517 in September following a similar fall the previous month. That pushed the year-on-year rate of increase down to 1.8% - the weakest since May 1996.

The latest fall means that prices stagnated in the third quarter of the year, with no increase at all on the previous three months.

It also indicates the Bank of England's cut in interest rates last month has failed to breathe new life into property values. The Bank's monetary policy committee trimmed the base rate by a quarter-point to 4.5% on 4 August, reducing the monthly repayments on a £100,000 mortgage by about £15.

Estate agents have reported that buyers are returning to the market. But this is mainly the result of vendors dropping asking prices rather than the start of a new boom.

Figures today from the Bank showed mortgage lending rose sharply to £7.6bn in August from £6.7bn the previous month, while approvals totalled 107,000 - a 14-month high.

Nationwide believes the market remains on course for a soft landing, with prices treading water for the foreseeable future. It is sticking with its house price inflation forecast of between zero and 2% for the full-year.

The building society's group economist, Fionnuala Earley ( AtW: notice its a new economist they have now...), said: 'Experience so far shows no evidence of an imminent crash. Instead, the housing market has remained fairly robust and, as house-price growth has softened, buyers have shown renewed interest which should help to support the market going forward. We should expect a period of unexciting movementin house prices for some time to come.'

But she warned that confidence is key and fears about the economy on the back of soaring oil prices could tip the market into a more serious downturn. A lack of affordability, particularly in London and the south east, will continue to act as a brake on the market, she added.

Today's report chimes with findings from the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors which last week said new enquiries from would-be homebuyers rose for the third month in a row in August, but about a quarter of surveyors are still reporting falling prices.

Some City economists continue to warn of a long period of falling prices. George Buckley at Deutsche Bank thinks they will dive by between 10% and 15%, while Ed Stansfield at Capital Economics has pencilled-in a 20% collapse.

Over the next six monhts I predict that house prices with either

1 Contiue to Fall
    2 Remain Stagnant
    3 Start to Rise

Im sure this prediction will come back to haunt me but there you have it !

Comment

hyperD's top ten tips:-

1. If interest rates drop, house prices will rise.

2. If inflation increases, house prices will rise.

3. If Prescott builds his million homes, prices will rise a little more slowly.

4. If immigration increases at its present rate, house prices will rise.

5. If the ocean level rises, so will the house prices (although mainly in Scotland)

6. If green belt land is declared a buildable area, then house prices will rise.

7. If unemployment increases further, then house prices will rise.

8. If the Tories win the election in 2010 then house prices will rise.

9. If Alistair Campbell died, house prices will rise.

10. If all people who went to school wanted to go into media, then house prices will rise.
      If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

Which one would make me shut up about imminent house prices crash?

Comment

11. SKA reaps massive profits, house prices fall.
          If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

Working...
          X