• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

'Chav' free holidays

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'Chav' free holidays

Discuss

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7853360.stm

Directors of a tour company which sparked controversy with an e-mail offering 'chav-free' vacations, have defended their marketing strategy.

Activities Abroad ran names it believed to be associated with 'chavs' through its database, claiming that none had been on one of its activity holidays.

An e-mail advertising the company's holidays on this basis was sent to 24,000 people, causing offence to some.

Director Alistair McLean said: "It was a tongue-in-cheek e-mail."

'Nuff said'

Activities Abroad made use of research suggesting certain names are often associated with particular demographic segments of the UK population.

They googled names associated with the word 'chav', ran them through their database of past customers and discovered that no Britneys, Dazzas, Biancas, Chardonnays or Candices had ever been on one of their trips.

They found that among common names of people who had were John, Sarah, James, Charlotte and Lucy.

The e-mail added a spin to these findings, claiming the company therefore offered 'chav-free activity holidays'.

Typecast

In response to the blog referred to by Mr Mclean, one 'Candice' wrote: "How dare you define and typecast people by their name.

"I own my own business, have a post graduate degree, an undergraduate degree, 4 A-Levels, an advanced diploma in Life Skills, a diploma in Performance Coaching, GCSEs, speak French and Italian and drive a Merc. Happy slap that".
    Guy Fawkes - "The last man to enter Parliament with honourable intentions."

A woman called Candice who lists ‘an advanced diploma in Life Skills’ among her academic achievements demonstrates the effectiveness of this company’s data mining approach.

But yes, I’d go for chav-free holidays. I want a guarantee that I will not see anybody wearing a football shirt or drinking lager from the can or bottle during my holiday, with 100% money back if I provide photographic evidence of said example of human gene pollution.

Going to really expensive places used to be the trick, but now the über-chav Wayne Rooney has bought a place in Portofino, St Tropez is full of Russians and Cascais is full of English golf chavs. Come to think of it, I know nothing about football so why do I know who Wayne Rooney is?
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
      A woman called Candice who lists an advanced diploma in Life Skills among her academic achievements demonstrates the effectiveness of this companys data mining approach.

But yes, Id go for chav-free holidays. I want a guarantee that I will not see anybody wearing a football shirt or drinking lager from the can or bottle during my holiday, with 100% money back if I provide photographic evidence of said example of human gene pollution
      WHS - add tattoos all over the place
      Last edited by Peoplesoft bloke; 27 January 2009, 17:31.

Comment

Think this is what you is after

Comment

[QUOTE=Mich the Tester;754351]Wayne Rooney has bought a place in PortofinoQUOTE]

Wayne f******g Rooney, Portofino - please tell me that's not true.

It's strange but things have come full circle - I work on the Costa Blanca and with the exception of Benidorm and a few gated British ghettoes it's largely devoid of what you may refer to as chavs altogether. Alicante is about as Spanish as you can get and furthermore there are no Islington Luvvie types either 'cos they all think Spain's full of chavs!

Comment

Originally posted by Shimano105 View Post
            Saga! Fracking hate those bastards.

I got caught behind a plane load of ‘em once at immigration at Heathrow one Sunday morning flying back to the UK. “Yack, yack, yack”. Then when they get to the counter it comes to a surprise to them that they have to show their passport and didn’t know what they had done with it.

How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
            Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

whats wrong wiv drinking lager out of a bottle?

Comment

In Denmark you can ask for a chav-free holiday. People have claimed and have got their money back, if it's not been forthcoming.
                Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
                threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

What about in Doncaster?

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
                    whats wrong wiv drinking lager out of a bottle?
                    When the crates of bottles are stacked up at the docks and at the distributors' warehouses, and out the back of the bar, cats piss on them.

Next?
                    Drivelling in TPD is not a mental health issue. We're just community blogging, that's all.

Xenophon said: "CUK Geek of the Week". A gingerjedi certified "Elitist Tw@t". Posting rated @ 5 lard points

Comment

Working...
                    X