• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Overqualified?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Overqualified?

Got rejected for a gig today due to being 'overqualified for the post'...

Why drag me all the way to a f**king interview off the back of my CV only to decide that? Insecure managers afraid of whatever is my only conclusion, looks like a bit more time on the bench for now. I knew there was something up with the guy of similar age couldn't look me in the eye on the departing handshake..
    The cycle of life: born > learn > work > learn > dead.

It's possible they were lying and thought you were a knob.

Bad luck though - onwards and upwards...
    Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Originally posted by chris79 View Post
      Got rejected for a gig today due to being 'overqualified for the post'...

Why drag me all the way to a f**king interview off the back of my CV only to decide that? Insecure managers afraid of whatever is my only conclusion, looks like a bit more time on the bench for now. I knew there was something up with the guy of similar age couldn't look me in the eye on the departing handshake..
      "Overqualified" is usually a lie. Too old, too expensive are the usual real meanings. But it could stand in for almost any real reason that the interviewer didn't want to give. Probably he didn't want to give a reason that could be disputed, but sometimes it's because the real reason is illegal or shameful.

Comment

Another reason is that the project budget has been pulled at the very last moment which does happen.

"Overqualified" is a nonesense excuse that many of us have heard and it covers any conceivable reason for not wanting to hire you despite you performing well at the interview.

Bummer on the extended bench time (pardon the pun)

Comment

Maybe the candidate before you was a six foot blonde with big tits and he needed an excuse to turn you down.
          And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Well, apparently the person in before me got all the way to the interview room and was 'physically shaking' and couldn't go through with it.. severe case of apprehension I guess.

Comment

Or he had already appointed Bob Shawadiwadi but needed to provide some fake evidence that they had tried to recruit domestically but nobody suitable was available.
              How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
              Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Originally posted by chris79 View Post
                Well, apparently the person in before me got all the way to the interview room and was 'physically shaking'
                Yes, interviewers like it when six foot blondes with big tits do that.
                And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
                  Yes, interviewers like it when six foot blondes with big tits do that.
                  Maybe she got the job without even opening her mouth.

Just annoying really because it's probably one of the best interviews I've ever done, 45 mins long.. answered everything thrown at me, backed up with knowledge/experience/etc.. when I left the interview I was walked back out the building with the older guy, he said "I shouldn't say this but you did a very good interview.. but obviously it depends on X (the other guy)"... just got a bad vibe off this other guy all through it, he couldn't make eye contact and kept asking strange questions like "what attracts you to this role? It's far from glamorous"... just had a feeling there was something up with him and I was correct. I know this because there were 2 posts available and 3 candidates, and the story I heard today off the agency was that they had restructured it and decided they only needed 1 person.

Comment

what's wrong with "someone else got the job"?

Comment

Working...
                    X