• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Self Assessment c 0ck up

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Self Assessment c 0ck up

Provided my accountant all the figures a few weeks ago to enable him to sumbit my SA online by 31 Jan.

I now get a phone call from him saying he has had issues submitting them on line and that they need to be posted to HMRC.

When asked if I will be fined £100, he said I shouldn't be as he will include a cover letter explaining they were un-able to submit them on line.

Personally, I a think the reason he couldn't submit them on line was because the numpty failed to register me for on line submission.

Anyway, ayone know if HMRC will, based on the accountants cover letter, waive the £100 fine?

No but if you get fined £100 then claim it back from your accountant if its his cock up.

Comment

You won't get a fine if you owe nothing.

Get the accountant to work out the amount manually and pay it by Friday (if nothing else this definately puts the ball back into his court)

tim

Comment

Originally posted by tim123 View Post
        You won't get a fine if you owe nothing.

Get the accountant to work out the amount manually and pay it by Friday (if nothing else this definately puts the ball back into his court)

tim
        Yes, for this period there is definitely no tax liability.

Am paying him a visit tomorrow - should be interesting.

Comment

Actually what I said was wrong.

You do get the fine, but you don't have to pay it. But you do have to appeal against it to get it rescinded, apparently!

Comment

Actually what I said was wrong.

You do get the fine, but you don't have to pay it. But you do have to appeal against it to get it rescinded, apparently!
            Tim - how do you know this?

Personal experience or is there a link you can point me to?

Comment

Originally posted by Clippy View Post
              Tim - how do you know this?

Personal experience or is there a link you can point me to?
              Because the same question was asked on another board, and someone posted a link to the Tax man's rules.

They said that it was hard to find. However, it's not in my history any more ... and I can't find it (nor can I find the question on the other board)

Sorry

tim

Comment

Because the same question was asked on another board, and someone posted a link to the Tax man's rules.

They said that it was hard to find. However, it's not in my history any more ... and I can't find it (nor can I find the question on the other board)

Sorry

tim
                Thanks Tim.

Any chance you can PM me the link to the other board?

Comment

I've found the other link

http://www.grant-thornton.co.uk/tax/...ine_for_o.aspx

tim

Comment

Working...
                  X