• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contractor Blues

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contractor Blues

Like most contractors, my reaction of shock & disbelief when I heard that my colleague was given 7 days notice. Thoughts of will I be next start to run though ones head.

It would have been understandable if the chap was not up to the job, but he is the most experienced in his team and there appeared to be lots of work!

It brought back memories of my last contract termination.

Initial shock, than frustration and anger that I had been sent to the departure lounge. At the time it seemed unfair and thoughts of why was it me as there was loads of work went through my mind.

My initial anger and frustration was with the people that were involved in making the decision to send me to the departure lounge Feeling of anger, frustration and inadequacy were all running through my head. It was hard to sallow, but I kept my chin up & head high through the days before the end.

It seems when the time arrives to go to the “departure lounge”, it is never is something a contractor gets used to or is prepared for., but that life as a contractor.

Within 2 weeks I was back in another contract and all seemed a bed of roses.

Originally posted by agomes View Post
    Like most contractors, my reaction of shock & disbelief...

It brought back memories of my last contract termination.

Initial shock, than frustration and anger ...

My initial anger and frustration ...

Feeling of anger, frustration and inadequacy...

It was hard to sallow, ...
    Good grief. You need to toughen up a bit.

You get paid a higher rate for being a contractor than being a permie to compensate for leaving at little / no notice.

So you've already had the compensation.

Get over yourself. Go out and get drunk or something.

Better still, take your benched colleague to the pub and both get drunk.
    Drivelling in TPD is not a mental health issue. We're just community blogging, that's all.

Xenophon said: "CUK Geek of the Week". A gingerjedi certified "Elitist Tw@t". Posting rated @ 5 lard points

Comment

Departure lounge?

Jeez...

Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Like most contractors, my reaction of shock & disbelief when I heard that my colleague was given 7 days notice.
        In that case, don't think you're including me in "most contractors". If there's a contractual notice period then there's nothing wrong with using it.
        And do you really mean "colleague" or "competitor"?

Comment

there appeared to be lots of work!
          But is there enough money?

I'd take your colleague to the pub, he has a week head start on finding the next contract.

Comment

Well said TL.

If you find yourself out of contract sooner than expected - dont make the mistake of taking it personally , feelings of resentment will serve only to tarnish your reputation as well as not making you much fun at parties.

Better show understanding and remember its hard to tell anyone that their contract has to be terminated - dont make it even more unpleasant for your line mamager , often its not in fact a decision that he is in favor of, rather budgetary forces , company politics - youve seen the movie.

The upside is that a few months down the line you might be asked to return - thats why its in yours and everybodys best interest to remain on good terms and not to be too rash.
            Last edited by AlfredJPruffock; 28 January 2009, 20:32.

Comment

I can't quite get my head around this feeling that contractors are being ill-treated when they are being given notice.

There may be "behind the scenes" reasons why he was canned. You may not be aware of these.

Also let's be honest here and admit that while many contractors like to play at being in business, they think and behave exactly like employees. Then they get all surprised when they are treated like a business.

If you employed a builder and ran out of money, I've no doubt you'd say to him "sorry mate" and let him go without getting all cut up about it.

Mind you, I've never been canned (yet, touch wood). I'm sure wouldn't be happy about it, but I'm also sure it wouldn't be the worst thing that had ever happened to me.

Sorry if anyone thinks I'm an unsympathetic barsteward

Comment

why do you have three departure lounges, one in quotes, two without quotes ?

In my Opinion, and I am sure your sacked colleague would agree, standards are important. Not standards in a qualititive way, but standards in a 'lets do everything in the same way' sense. For maintenance reasons.

just asking.
                Are you an agent having a larff

(\__/)
                (>'.'<)
                ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
                  Are you an agent having a larff

Implying that agents do not have standards?

Oh I'm so glad to be working direct!
                  This default font is sooooooooooooo boring and so are short usernames

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
                    In my Opinion, and I am sure your sacked colleague would agree, standards are important. Not standards in a qualititive way, but standards in a 'lets do everything in the same way' sense. For maintenance reasons.
                    For the same reasons, I assume you always write "Opinion" with a capital?

A quick search indicates not

Comment

Working...
                    X