• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Boomed!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boomed!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7855482.stm

Asda is to create 7,000 new jobs this year, becoming the latest supermarket to add new positions as their sales continue to rise despite the recession.

Sainsbury's announced earlier this month that it will create 5,000 new jobs this year, while Waitrose is adding 4,000 and Tesco up to 10,000.

Satellite broadcaster BSkyB also announced on Wednesday that it is to create 1,000 new jobs.

There is a future for Britain.

Who's doing all the shopping?
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
      Unemployed construction workers, mechanics, architects, IT workers, bankers, steel workers, engineers, scientists, technicians.....

Comment

Chavs and low skilled migrant workers on benefits and tax credits of course!

Comment

It dismays me when the BBC et al follow a "5000 skilled workers lose their jobs" story with a good news "at least 5000 shelf stacking jobs have been created" at the local supermarket

What sort of world will our kids know?
          'elf and safety guru

Comment

Well me and OH went to Asda for the first time last weekend and we will be going back to buy certain things.

Whilst in there we noticed many people with their Sainsbury's and Waitrose 'bags for life' - so looks like they are benefiting from people trading 'down'.

OH doesn't like the meat, veg, fruit etc but all the branded goods are cheaper, plus George kids clothing was good value - hopefully the clothes will last longer than the Primark ones.

So we'll go back again maybe in a couple of weeks.

That explains Asda, I cant' explain Waitrose and they are the most expensive. Sainsbury's have been benefitting I think because of extensive advertising and because of vouchers and pushing their basic's range.
            Last edited by MPwannadecentincome; 28 January 2009, 11:02.
            This default font is sooooooooooooo boring and so are short usernames

Comment

Originally posted by MPwannadecentincome View Post
              Well me and OH went to Asda for the first time last weekend and we will be going back to buy certain things.

Whilst in there we noticed many people with their Sainsbury's and Waitrose 'bags for life' - so looks like they are benefiting from people trading 'down'.

OH doesn't like the meat, veg, fruit etc but all the branded goods are cheaper, plus George kids clothing was good value - hopefully the clothes will last longer than the Primark ones.

That explains Asda, I cant' explain Waitrose and they are the most expensive. Sainsbury's have been benefitting I think because of extensive advertising and because of vouchers and pushing their basic's range.

I've noticed that waitrose have been price matching a lot against other supermarkets.
              I buy some of my veg and other bits and pieces there, I gave up on other supermarkets as the quality aint as good and there is a marked difference.

Though you can't beat the local farmer for meat and veg!
              "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Originally posted by MPwannadecentincome View Post

I won't go to Asda because they're Wal-Mart and I will not support religious lunatics.

I don't mind Tesco and sometimes Morrison's, though I don't like buying the ordinary grades of meat in either. Waitrose is more expensive but the quality as well as the service is what I want. In effect it saves time compared to others (if you are picky about what you buy) because I will buy anything there; and time is money.

Comment

All tescos should be nuked.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
                    All tescos should be nuked.
                    hear hear!
                    "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Working...
                    X