• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Working away..

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Working away..

So far I've been pretty lucky and all my gigs have been close to home, so no staying away overnight.

Current situation is not good and I'm starting to widen the scope a bit which will mean accepting traveling for gigs and staying away mon-fri.

What do you guys do for accommodation? Is there any secrets here I need to know.. I'll be happy with a laptop and mobile broadband in the evenings to keep in touch and do random stuff.. what about getting good places, or discounts for block bookings etc in nice places.. any tips?
    The cycle of life: born > learn > work > learn > dead.

lastminute.com if you are somewhere that is covered.

Speak to central reservations if you can, and see if they will do a deal for a block booking. Sometimes they will do a discount for the client, especially if it's a public sector gig (some years back, Hilton Glasgow was £125pn for Oracle room only; £75pn B&B for public sector).

Or stay in a hotel for a little bit and use that time to find a B&B and negotiate a deal there.

This gig, I rented a room in a shared house. A little bit like student days (apart from having en-suite) but a lot cheaper than being in a hotel, plus had my own space and the ability to cook for myself rather than paying an exorbitant fee for mediocre food in a hotel.
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
      This gig, I rented a room in a shared house. A little bit like student days (apart from having en-suite) but a lot cheaper than being in a hotel, plus had my own space and the ability to cook for myself rather than paying an exorbitant fee for mediocre food in a hotel.
      I did exactly that for 15 months at my last big gig and have done it before as i prefer the approach.

There are loads of sites where shared houses or small flats are rented on sensible terms, just google for flatshares and you will get loads of potential sites.

I have negotiated heavy discounts at hotels in the past, but try to avoid them as hotel food plays havok with my waistline.

Comment

it depends on the rate im on and how im feeling,

mostly I stay in a fairly nice hotel for the first week or two, then go look for a furnished apartment to rent, then move my 2nd of everything important to said apartment and effectively have 2 homes, one i live in permenant address, the other my co. provides for me solely for business use. It saves lugging everything back and forth every mon-fri, u can take playstation etc. with you along with creature comforts like your own brand/type of pillows etc. (its my personal niggly thing, pillows are never as comfy as those i have at home). Make sure you get the contract in the companies name (for accounting reasons) with you as a named person (to keep landlord happy) rather than solely in your name and claimed as an expense, as you cant claim an expense for the 2 days per week your not there, but my co. can rent an apartment on the co. books and ensure you only use it for business use no problem.

alternatively if it's short term or not a great rate then i look for a b&b with internet included, go stay a week, if its ok I ask for their rate for booking mon-fri for 3 months or alternatively a boutique hotel with a bit of character and a decent restaurant attached and generally avoid the faceless sh!te you get in almost all named hotels. I find it soon gets tiring if all rooms look exactly the same no matter irrelevant what country your in.

Chef

p.s always carry a corkscrew/bottle opener and a set of cutlery in your suitcase, the number of times i was fed up with eating in restaurants and so got a takeout to crash out in my room/watch tv and realised i dont have a ###king fork or bottle opener and b&b owner florence is far past her bedtime. Its the little things like that that p!ss me off and make me go stay in a faceless corporate hotel and pay a fortune for cr@p.
        Last edited by chef; 28 January 2009, 23:17.
        The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

Originally posted by chef View Post
          p.s always carry a corkscrew/bottle opener and a set of cutlery in your suitcase, the number of times i was fed up with eating in restaurants and so got a takeout to crash out in my room/watch tv and realised i dont have a ###king fork or bottle opener and b&b owner florence is far past her bedtime.
          oh yes!

pps remember you can't carry a corkscrew (or of course a knife) on a plane in carry-on.

Comment

Originally posted by chris79 View Post
            So far I've been pretty lucky and all my gigs have been close to home, so no staying away overnight.

Current situation is not good and I'm starting to widen the scope a bit which will mean accepting traveling for gigs and staying away mon-fri.

What do you guys do for accommodation? Is there any secrets here I need to know.. I'll be happy with a laptop and mobile broadband in the evenings to keep in touch and do random stuff.. what about getting good places, or discounts for block bookings etc in nice places.. any tips?
            my trick. Stay in a hotel for the first week, during lunch times visit the local supermarkets and check the small ads. These are usually bit of card pinned to a board. I can usually get a room for less than £100 a week down Sarf.

Chef is right, you need to build yourself a 'kit' for working away.
            mines consists of
            holdall
            toiletries
            corkscrew
            small bladed scissors
            spoon
            few small plastic bags
            pens
            book

(\__/)
            (>'.'<)
            ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

I was wondering if I would get ripped to shreds or agreed with for the 'away kit' point.. either way i'd still do it as it just makes practical sense..

Yes I was a cub scout
              The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
                my trick. Stay in a hotel for the first week, during lunch times visit the local supermarkets and check the small ads. These are usually bit of card pinned to a board. I can usually get a room for less than £100 a week down Sarf.

Chef is right, you need to build yourself a 'kit' for working away.
                mines consists of
                holdall
                toiletries
                corkscrew
                small bladed scissors
                spoon
                few small plastic bags
                pens
                book

Would also add extra coffee, sugar and coffee mate to that list, you only get a couple of sachets of each, not enough for an adult
                'elf and safety guru

Comment

Originally posted by thelace View Post
                  Would also add extra coffee, sugar and coffee mate to that list, you only get a couple of sachets of each, not enough for an adult
                  Build you own, whatever suits and keep it in your wardrobe untill required. Then you can move very quickly.

The type of accomodation I am describing does not provide en-suite coffee making, but they will let you use their kitchen.

(\__/)
                  (>'.'<)
                  ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Wasn't there a guy on here used to use a camper van when working away? I'm often tempted by the idea. Maybe when it is warmer.

Comment

Working...
                    X