• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The Trials and Tribulations of a Top-Notch Developer

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Trials and Tribulations of a Top-Notch Developer

Not sure how long I can stay in this game without killing someone. It's a personal issue, I must deal with it. I just can't tolerate people amending my code - which in 99% of cases is a poorly thought out and ugly modification, I can't stand some of the user interfaces I see, I cannot handle incompetence, and worst of all, people that think they know better - and don't - really cause my stress levels to fluctuate wildly.

Somehow I need to remind myself that I am a money grabbing contractor, it's not my code to be possesive over, and I don't really care.

If EDS can do it mate, I'm sure you can..
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Eds

Originally posted by cojak
      If EDS can do it mate, I'm sure you can..
      EDS set a great example for us all

Comment

Ah my young friend, you will find that as youth fades away it is like being unchained from a wild animal.

Remember desire is what causes suffering, rule your desires and your suffering will disappear.

Your desire to produce working code is obviously something your coworkers do not share. Be a team player and write crap like them. Once you master the intracies of your SCCS you will be able to not only make your bodged code look like your coworkers, but even make it appear as if your coworkers actually wrote it, and vice versa. Once you become a master of the SCCS you can surf the web all day, and still appear to have written more code than anyone else.
        Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
        threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by Bovvered
          Not sure how long I can stay in this game without killing someone. It's a personal issue, I must deal with it. I just can't tolerate people amending my code - which in 99% of cases is a poorly thought out and ugly modification, I can't stand some of the user interfaces I see, I cannot handle incompetence, and worst of all, people that think they know better - and don't - really cause my stress levels to fluctuate wildly.

Somehow I need to remind myself that I am a money grabbing contractor, it's not my code to be possesive over, and I don't really care.

Yes I think you problem is that your work seems to take over your life, best cure I think is start writing your own application --your very own SKA or cross stitching site - -- it would be your very very own, no one will or can lay a hand on it, your very own baby, no one can touch it ... so whenever you feel stressed think of your very own baby that no one on earth can touch ..... also it helps if you started working / nurturing your baby during working/paid hours this will make you feel loads better...

Comment

Originally posted by zamzummim
            Yes I think you problem is that your work seems to take over your life, best cure I think is start writing your own application --your very own SKA
            Already have one, on-line, selling away. My last bastion of pure code and sanity.

Comment

Already have one, on-line, selling away. My last bastion of pure code and sanity.

may be you need another baby... keeps you busy and kindles your heart with her heart

Comment

I just can't tolerate people amending my code - which in 99% of cases is a poorly thought out and ugly modification, I can't stand some of the user interfaces I see, I cannot handle incompetence, and worst of all, people that think they know better - and don't - really cause my stress levels to fluctuate wildly.
                Well, if you were more of a team player and wrote your code so that it could be maintained you wouldn't be having these problems.

It's a job, and that's all it is.

Stop trying to be such a prima-donna and get on with your life!
                Oh Jesus - Disaster Management Ltd.
                You know you'll need us!

Comment

The fact is you are not a top-notch developer but a code monkey. Remember that. There is no art in programming, very little creativity, very little merit. Coding is to intelligence as lego is to art. It is the pedant who thrives in this domain, he is no more intelligent that the majority of chimps, he is just an obsessive egotits, often with a personality disorder. What seperates him from the majority is that believes his code runs the organisation, he believes in his own self importance. Hubris my dear boy, hubris.

Comment

Originally posted by Jabberwocky
                    The fact is you are not a top-notch developer but a code monkey. Remember that. There is no art in programming, very little creativity, very little merit. Coding is to intelligence as lego is to art. It is the pedant who thrives in this domain, he is no more intelligent that the majority of chimps, he is just an obsessive egotits, often with a personality disorder. What seperates him from the majority is that believes his code runs the organisation, he believes in his own self importance. Hubris my dear boy, hubris.
                    Jabber, at times(most of 'em) you do talk tulipe.
                    Oh Jesus - Disaster Management Ltd.
                    You know you'll need us!

Comment

Working...
                    X